October-November projects and ideas

leila johnston

Oct 31, 2012, 8:36:32 AM10/31/12
to leila...@googlegroups.com

October was good. Let's see...

Audio

Roo and I put out a new episode of Shift Run Stop last week. It's the first one we've deliberately made without a guest, and feedback so far has been good. It's so much easier to do guestless episodes, and in some ways more fun for us. So we think this might be the direction we take it in for a while. Oh, you'll get used to it. Here's the ep:

http://shiftrunstop.co.uk/2012/10/25/episode-64-leila-and-roo/

Writing

I wrote a blog post about the advantages of giving talks http://finalbullet.com/2012/09/21/8-reasons-you-should-give-talks/

I'm still interviewing all kinds of interesting characters on The Literary Platform, and writing and editing everything that shows up on there. ALWAYS want to hear about your projects and ideas! http://theliteraryplatform.com/

I'm interviewing a, erm, charm consultant for something for Wired UK, which will be good fun. More news on that as it comes in.

Things I was in

I was interviewed by John Fleming, comedy impresario and former Surprise Surprise researcher, for his blog (my second appearance on there. Lean times for content) http://thejohnfleming.wordpress.com/2012/10/19/how-to-badly-interview-a-good-geek-self-help-guru-techno-nerd-and-creatin/

I was also in the Guardian this month. Jemima Kiss asked me why there aren't more women in tech. http://distilleryimage0.s3.amazonaws.com/fc9542da0c6a11e2939222000a1e87b7_7.jpg

The video of my How We Lost The Future talk from Improving Reality at the Brighton Digital Festival in September, a lament to the lost promise of the Millennium, is thusly: http://t.co/ZjSm78pF. That was an *excellent* event, I recommend you look at the other vids (instead) – especially Luke Jerram.

November is all events.

I've been asked to speak at something called Monday Club on Nov 12th, organised by Matt de Abaitua from The Idler. I'm doing Making Things Fast (I know, you've heard it before, but it's an updated version. I hear about people using the ideas – usually credited – in their own talks on a weekly basis now. It's totally become a thing. Think of it as my "new aesthetic", without the publicity!) The other speaker is a composer who wrote the original music to Peep Show, so I'm looking forward to singing that into his astonished face. Here's the catchy link: http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=9df9957a29a783e9b055ce58a&id=ccf3383d89&e=81a63b7517

On Saturday the 17th, I'm hosting a panel of systems artists old and new at the lovely Site Gallery here in Sheffield. It'll be the launch event for the new Ernest Edmonds exhibition. Brace yourself for another impossible-to-forget URL: http://www.sitegallery.org/archives/5163#.UJEQ4WlgMeM

I'm speaking about IBM point of sale terminals and why I like them so much at Boring on November 25th. Roo will be there too talking about his collections. As is now traditional, here's the public till picture map to accompany this year's talk: https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=200832815806355091830.0004cbc9561c674fbdfcc&msa=0

At about 1pm on Monday the 26th I'm speaking at the new BBC Broadcasting House in London – it's a free, public event, and it will be a version of Making Things Fast. No link for that I'm afraid, BBC cuts etc. Maybe just follow me around until it happens.

And just in case I get bored, the next day – Tuesday the 26th – I'm reading out something spooky I've (hopefully) written at the Den of Geek "Den of EEK" event. http://www.denofgeek.com/other/den-of-eek/22890/join-us-for-den-of-eek-a-night-of-spooky-stories

December I'm planning to take my foot off the pedal slightly, stay in Sheffield, get my head down and finish a couple of art projects that have been atrophying while all this has been going on. Minotaur! has been neglected, for example, but everyone we've shown the pitch doc too seems to like it.

Why don't you come round for a pre-Christmas thing? I'm very vaguely considering holding something interesting at my new house in Sheffield in December. Ideas welcome.

And we might yet do a Christmas Shift Run Stop…

Thanks for reading – Happy Halloween! WooooOOOOOH!

Leila

--
finalbullet.com