July-August projects and ideas

leila johnston

Jul 20, 2013, 9:35:29 AM7/20/13
to leila johnston, leila...@googlegroups.com
Afternoon skatalites,

Nice to have some weather again after so long on the surface of Venus. No really, on the whole I'm thoroughly enjoying the weather, but it has been making it more difficult to get anything done.

Since we last spoke, I've been down to London a few times for various "work" things...

I went to ad agency Mother for the launch party of "Container", the 'we're not calling it a physical magazine but –' package of 'hot and cold' inspired artworks masterminded by Tim Milne. It's a limited edition run of 200, and my modest contribution is a slip of paper printed out of a thermal printer. You can read about and buy them here. Even the food was hot and cold. Even I was hot and cold.

I helped out on Caper's stand at the inaugural London Mini Maker Faire at Elephant and Castle, where I saw and chatted to *loads* of people I know, or slightly know, and some people I don't even know. I know! I don't know.

As part of my Minotaur the Moosical research, I went to see Tim "Calendar Girls" Firth's new musical, This Is My Family, and attended the Q&A and the cast coffee morning. Learning more all the time.

It was Bath Spa's Mix Conference "Making Day" at the glorious Corsham Court, near Bath last week. I popped over there to run a workshop about Making Things Fast. It went well, they created the most amazing live show about the boatman on the River Styx in under an hour. I'd love to do more of these – would you like one?! Let me know!

The cover design process has begun for the humour book I've written with Tim W: 'The Inner Head'. We're slowly homing in on something.

And Roo, Lee and I met up on a very hot, busy, roundabout in central London to record the beginnings of a new episode of Shift Run Stop.

Coming up...

My new thing, Hack Circus, is shaping up gradually. I have a Skype meeting and possibly a real life meeting about funding and collaborations with it next week. Several people have expressed interest in getting involved with it – either the new publication I'm planning or the live event I want to host alongside it. I'm painfully aware I need to get a move on if I want to get something of quality together by September.

I'm meeting up with one of Sheffield's many universities this week to talk about doing something "inspiring" with their graphic design students.

Today, and possibly this whole weekend, I'll be working on the Minotaur script.

On Friday I'm heading down to London (just overnight this time) to do some writing on a Sue Perkins show for Radio 4.

Someone has mooted the idea of a Shift Run Stop camping trip. More on that later, possibly...

Looking at my calendar, August is deceptively blank at the moment; I don't trust it one bit. Let's get it before it gets us. In fact, I'm thinking of having a barbecue here soon, but I must sort my garden out first. You're all invited! We could have a pre-barbecue *gardening* party, if you really want to feel useful.

Have fun. Stay indoors!

L x