Online ways to run ev3 programs

John Garrett

Mar 26, 2020, 3:40:46 PM3/26/20
to legoengineering
Wondering if there is a way for kids to write Mindstorms ev3 programs on their home computer and then upload it to a virtual robot? If so recommendations are appreciated. So far I have found some that work with their own code or programming on their platform. I would like to be able to take advantage of what I have already taught my kids before quarintine.

John Garrett

Pauline McCarthy

Mar 26, 2020, 3:47:01 PM3/26/20
to legoeng...@googlegroups.com
Well I’ve been looking...
I found makecode and just found Coderz
The are both online

I brought 1 EV3 home so I was thinking if they code it home, save the project file, upload to Google Classroom, then I can download and run in a Zoom meeting or record and share that video. But the process is indeed convoluted!

Pauline McCarthy

On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 3:40 PM John Garrett <jgar...@fifeschools.com> wrote:
Wondering if there is a way for kids to write Mindstorms ev3 programs on their home computer and then upload it to a virtual robot? If so recommendations are appreciated. So far I have found some that work with their own code or programming on their platform. I would like to be able to take advantage of what I have already taught my kids before quarintine.

John Garrett

The aim of this mailing list is connect educators from around the world who have a common interest using robotics in education. We welcome any and all conversation that is on-topic, (and occasionally off-topic!) and strongly encourage all members, regardless of their level of experience, to be a part of the conversation. While we want our member to give their opinions on commercial products so that others may benefit, sales-pitch posts are not permitted.
If in doubt, please ask me off-line first - dam...@damienkee.com
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "legoengineering" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/legoengineering/45587379-8bb9-4bdf-8dd0-a629d3448734%40googlegroups.com.
--
Mrs. Pauline McCarthy
Technology Integrator Teacher

Scott Stagnitta

Mar 26, 2020, 3:59:34 PM3/26/20
to legoeng...@googlegroups.com

I had the same problem as well. I started to use coderz programming platform.  It uses Blockly or Python computer language. The great thing about it is the virtual robot is an EV3.  I spoke to company last week and they sent me a link for 3 months, for teachers affected by the pandemic. They told me to pass it on. My students seem to enjoy it, and they have been doing great on it.  It allows each individual to move at their own pace.

You can set up an account and set up your classes for free.  I just posted a link and the students create an individual account.

Hope this helps.  My students sent me this program.

Video.mov

Pauline McCarthy

Mar 26, 2020, 4:02:24 PM3/26/20
to legoeng...@googlegroups.com
I set up a class this morning and I’ll move forward and post directions in Google Classroom

Thank you

The aim of this mailing list is connect educators from around the world who have a common interest using robotics in education. We welcome any and all conversation that is on-topic, (and occasionally off-topic!) and strongly encourage all members, regardless of their level of experience, to be a part of the conversation. While we want our member to give their opinions on commercial products so that others may benefit, sales-pitch posts are not permitted.
If in doubt, please ask me off-line first - dam...@damienkee.com
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "legoengineering" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/legoengineering/89F3083E-07CC-4DA0-B58B-22B00F3F87C1%40gmail.com.

Thanks Scott Stagnitta

Please sign up here >>
https://gocoderz.com/amazon-future-engineer/

Sent from my iPhone⛳

On Mar 26, 2020, at 3:40 PM, John Garrett <jgar...@fifeschools.com> wrote:

Wondering if there is a way for kids to write Mindstorms ev3 programs on their home computer and then upload it to a virtual robot? If so recommendations are appreciated. So far I have found some that work with their own code or programming on their platform. I would like to be able to take advantage of what I have already taught my kids before quarintine.

John Garrett

Eva Jones

Mar 26, 2020, 4:08:05 PM3/26/20
to legoeng...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for this thought as I have been wondering about how to keep the EV3 robotics course running for my students this term.  The virtual robot is awesome to hear about.
Thanks again,
Eva

Cort Wee

Mar 28, 2020, 3:28:45 AM3/28/20
to legoengineering
For the free stuff...

Open Roberta Lab (https://lab.open-roberta.org)
This uses Blockly and can convert the Blockly program into Python, Java, or C. However, the converted program cannot be edited. You can run the program on the online simulator, or on an actual robot.

This one is created by me. It let's you run Python programs on a simulated EV3. The same program can also run on an actual EV3 loaded with the EV3Dev firmware.