How to edit EV3 bluetooth default passkey?

Pete Thomas

Mar 6, 2017, 3:08:07 AM3/6/17
to legoengineering
Sorry this may be a dumb question, we have acquired 10 x 45544 ECV3 Core sets just this week.
How can I change the default Bluetooth passkey (1234) to a unique pass key for each of the EV3 Pi-Brick devices being used at any one time?
Sincerely,
Pete THOMAS
Kantvik School,
Kirkkonummi, Finland

Ian Chow-Miller

Mar 6, 2017, 10:07:21 AM3/6/17
to legoeng...@googlegroups.com
When pairing two robots together, a qwerty keyboard appears that allows you to change the passkeys on the two robots you're pairing. I don't recall if there's a blanket way to do it from the beginning.

May I ask why you want an individual passkey? For my students (age 12) it's always been easier to keep the default, because otherwise they forget.

Ian

The aim of this mailing list is connect educators from around the world who have a common interest using robotics in education. We welcome any and all conversation that is on-topic, (and occasionally off-topic!) and strongly encourage all members, regardless of their level of experience, to be a part of the conversation. While we want our member to give their opinions on commercial products so that others may benefit, sales-pitch posts are not permitted.
If in doubt, please ask me off-line first - dam...@damienkee.com
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "legoengineering" group.

Pete Thomas

Mar 10, 2017, 1:34:28 AM3/10/17
to legoeng...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your reply. I received an answer from the Lego customer service that it is not possible to change the default passkey. Although I have individually named my P-Bricks, my thinking was to reduce the temptation for one group of pupils to "log on" to another group's P-brick via Bluetooth and download or even delete as a prank.
Yours sincerely.
Peter Thomas

Ian Chow-Miller

Mar 10, 2017, 6:43:00 PM3/10/17
to legoeng...@googlegroups.com
If you try to connect one robot to another, the second robot must accept. I have found this stops the surreptitious attempts of students to try and connect to a robot that they are not partnered with. Or I may just be lucky.

Ian

Damien Kee

Mar 10, 2017, 9:46:21 PM3/10/17
to LEGO engineering
But you do run the problem that if they have been connected in the past, you can bypass the passcode.

A master EV3 however can't do anything to a slave EV3 without a corresponding program on the slave EV3 to accept and parse the data being sent.

I would love to see if anything *could* be done maliciously from a Master EV3 to a Slave EV3 without the slave needing a special program already running.....  you know....  for <air quote>research</air quotes> purposes :)

Regards
Damien Kee

Ian Chow-Miller

Mar 10, 2017, 9:49:37 PM3/10/17
to legoeng...@googlegroups.com
If you're partnered with a new robot you can remove the old robot from your by connections - if you remember.

Damien Kee

Mar 10, 2017, 9:56:24 PM3/10/17
to LEGO engineering
Firmware update should also do the trick.

Evan Timothy Tj

May 23, 2020, 6:30:20 AM5/23/20
to legoengineering
how to reset EV3 passkey if forgot?