Nice app for programming the LEGO Mindstorms NXT on iPAD using NXT-G interface/development environment

McQuiggan

Jan 9, 2014, 11:23:02 PM1/9/14
to legoeng...@googlegroups.com
I just came across this nifty little app to  program the LEGO Mindstorms NXT on iPAD and thought it may interest others.  iNXTG is a free integrated development environment for LEGO Mindstorms NXT.  The look, feel and functionality of the app is very close to the original NXT-G with just a few minor differences.
You can download the iNXTG-Lite app by yufeng chai on your iPad or from https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/inxtg-lite/id697749319?mt=8. Visit the developers website at http://www.robotloop.com to learn more.
all the best,
David McQuiggan

Alexander Kolotov

Jan 10, 2014, 3:42:24 AM1/10/14
to legoeng...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave,

Did not find the way to connect this program to the NXT brick. Does it mean that I need a jailbreaked iPAD? There is nothing on AppStore and the developer forum regarding this.

--
Alexander Kolotov

The aim of this mailing list is connect educators from around the world who have a common interest using robotics in education. We welcome any and all conversation that is on-topic, (and occasionally off-topic!) and strongly encourage all members, regardless of their level of experience, to be a part of the conversation. While we want our member to give their opinions on commercial products so that others may benefit, sales-pitch posts are not permitted.
If in doubt, please ask me off-line first - dam...@damienkee.com
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "legoengineering" group.

Ryan Gleeson

Jan 10, 2014, 11:03:00 AM1/10/14
to <legoengineering@googlegroups.com>
Thanks David, this app looks great! What are the options for downloading to NXT?

Ryan Gleeson

Sent from my iPad

McQuiggan

Jan 10, 2014, 12:57:42 PM1/10/14
to legoeng...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, Apple, as a closed proprietary system, restricts direct Bluetooth wireless connection to any unapproved devices like the NXT brick from any of its devices (iPhone, IPad, iTouch etc). Apple, paternalistically, takes the view that it knows better than its customers which devices they should be able to connect to.  The EV3 is an approved device so you can connect to that via bluetooth, but not the older NXT bricks which is a shame!

There are two options to download programs to your NXT brick from iNXTG-lite, both are explained here >  http://www.robotloop.com/forum/index.php?topic=5.0. Basically, they are:
  1. Jailbreak your iPad and connect to the NXT brick via bluetooth directly to download compiled executables (rex) programs (use Cydia (http://cydia.saurik.com/).  iOS jailbreaking is the process of removing the limitations on Apple Inc. devices running the iOS operating system through the use of software and hardware exploits.  Jailbreaking permits root access to the iOS operating system, allowing the download of additional applications, extensions, and themes that are unavailable through the official Apple App Store.  Jailbreaking may or may not be legal depending on the country you  live in and sometimes the purpose or intent of jailbreaking the device.  Jailbreaking will void your Apple device warranty and you do so at your own risk. I am certainly not recommending or advocating you jailbreaking your device.
  2. If you are too wedded to your Apple warranty or want to  continue to live within the walled garden of Apple approved devices, then simply start the embedded http server in the iNXTG-lite app (select the antenna icon next to the Save floppy disk icon), then use your preferred web browser to get the rxe file and download it to NXT using your Lego software or other tools via a USB cable or bluetooth connection with your laptop/PC and the NXT.  Unless you jailbreak you iPad there is no way I know of connecting directly with the NXT brick using bluetooth.

McQuiggan

Jan 10, 2014, 1:17:08 PM1/10/14
to legoeng...@googlegroups.com
For educators on the list and further to my earlier email, in a classroom setting option 2 could work well where everyone has an iPad with wifi connectivity, each iPad can be used by the students to develop/compile their own NXT program and a smaller number of laptops/desktops can be set aside in the classroom to download their compiled rxe programs to their NXT bricks for testing. The students will just need to note the URL (http address) and how to browse to the http server running under iNXTG-lite on their individual iPad which is usually the IP address of the iPad on the wifi network of the form http://192.168.1.10:8888 ).
all the best,
David

yip rizhen

Jan 12, 2014, 10:00:30 PM1/12/14
to legoeng...@googlegroups.com

From: ryan_g...@sd33.bc.ca
To: legoeng...@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [legoengineering] Nice app for programming the LEGO Mindstorms NXT on iPAD using NXT-G interface/development environment
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 16:03:00 +0000

CNO

Jul 8, 2014, 12:01:12 PM7/8/14
to legoeng...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I'm trying out the EV3 robots and iNXTG-Lite software on my iPad for the first time but cant seem to get anywhere.

Does anyone recognise the "wait for compile" pop up? I have attached a screen grab of what it looks like.

It only seems to happen when I try to use any of the buttons in the bottom right corner...which is obviously an important feature.

Thanks

The aim of this mailing list is connect educators from around the world who have a common interest using robotics in education. We welcome any and all conversation that is on-topic, (and occasionally off-topic!) and strongly encourage all members, regardless of their level of experience, to be a part of the conversation. While we want our member to give their opinions on commercial products so that others may benefit, sales-pitch posts are not permitted.
If in doubt, please ask me off-line first - da...@damienkee.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "legoengineering" group.
Notify.jpg