"Law 2.0" and legal argument mapping

Tim van Gelder

Jan 22, 2008, 8:51:56 PM1/22/08
to legalm...@googlegroups.com

The "Technolawyer" piece below doesn't, on the face of it, have anything to do with the topic of this Google group (legal argument mapping).  However there is a connection.

As you may know, in March Austhink will be releasing a "Pro" version of its Rationale argument mapping tool.  This version, tentatively called ShowCase, will initially be oriented towards business decision making, i.e., deliberative decision making in business (broadly construed).  However we're building it so that it will be easily extendable to "case-making" in other domains such as the legal domain.  We expect this extension to appear in the 3-6 month time frame after inital release.

In parallel, we are working on producing a browser-based argument mapping tool.  This will be a web version of ShowCase rather than Rationale; and it will provide many of the standard advantages of online (as opposed to desktop) tools, such as
- no installation, IT headaches
- work from anywhere
- easy collaboration

Now, we haven't yet planned the obvious next step, which would be to create an online or "Web 2.0" legal argument mapping tool/website.  But of course, I think that is in our future.

Such a resource would be very much in line with the vision being sketched in the Technolawyer article.

Regards

Tim v.G.