New Legal Hack Projects

Phil Weiss

Nov 16, 2012, 5:35:40 PM11/16/12
to legalh...@googlegroups.com
Troll DB is working on an awesome, crowdsourced database of known patent trolls. They are looking for content contributors, sources of information, and advice going forward.

Dave Collado expressed a desire to build tools that shed light on the troll problem, exposing them to the world. He and I also discussed collecting resources to help victims of trolling to combat the problem.

John Randall wants to tackle the patent-troll issue at its core, to really define what it means to be a patent troll. Seems like a good place to start...

Charlie Kwalwasser at Quirky is working in a patent-intensive space. He expressed an interest in continuing to organize efforts against patent trolling.

Finally, relating to our first roundtable on mobile privacy, a group called Open Notice is currently in the process of assessing some of the most popular sites on the web for privacy-notice compliance to create an open and standardized set of terms. This initiative, unlike some we've seen in the past, is truly international in scope. F more info, join the Google Group here: https://groups.google...

Veronica Picciafuoco

Nov 20, 2012, 1:03:15 PM11/20/12
to legalh...@googlegroups.com
Just stumbled in this interesting TED talk on the patent troll issue: http://www.ted.com/talks/drew_curtis_how_i_beat_a_patent_troll.html

On the privacy topic: I'm part of the Open Notice project linked below, and we are about to start our first initiative. Creating a standard model of privacy policy and terms of service. A "creative commons" kind of project sponsored by a joint effort of a wide range of associations (including big guys W3C), solo initiatives, and tech companies like Docracy. If you're interested in participating, by all means join the open notice google group as we'll get started pretty soon!

--
Veronica Picciafuoco
(215) 948 2862