Revenge Porn and Such

Phil Weiss

Dec 19, 2013, 3:00:31 PM12/19/13
to legalh...@googlegroups.com
Hopefully you all saw the announcement for our next event on 1/2/14.  We will be covering revenge porn n' such.  For those unfamiliar on the topic, check out the recent news regarding ugotposted.com.  Here is the criminal complaint filed against the site:

Phil Weiss

Jan 23, 2014, 6:51:07 PM1/23/14
to legalh...@googlegroups.com

Phil Weiss

Feb 28, 2014, 5:53:26 PM2/28/14
to legalh...@googlegroups.com
Per Professor Bambauer's proposal at our revenge porn event, the 9th circuit released this very helpful opinion:

Brief: Extra received death threats for her scene in a film that ended up being an anti-Islam piece (the scene was for a different film originally).  The extra issued takedown notices to Google, but Google refused. The district court denied the preliminary injunction because there was no copyright infringement (i.e., no likelihood of success on the merits).

The 9th Circuit reversed the district court's decision to deny a preliminary injunction because the extra had a "copyright interest" in the work (not quite a "joint authorship"), in the form of her acting.  In turn, the content had to be taken down.