Lee Wind September 2015 Newsletter

Lee Wind

Oct 5, 2015, 12:44:03 AM10/5/15
to leewindn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone!

Here's the September 2015 Newsletter, coming to you the first weekend after the last day in September. (cue personal triumph music…)

It's in four sections:

1. New on the "I'm Here. I'm Queer. What the Hell do I Read?" Blog

2. Lee's News

3. Children's Literature, SCBWI and Publishing World Updates

4. Current Inspiration

I hope you'll find it useful and inspiring!

As always, thanks for reading!
Lee

p.s. - If you'd like to be in touch, please don't hit 'reply' - just send me an email directly at iamle...@gmail.com Thanks!

1. New on the "I'm Here. I'm Queer. What the Hell do I Read?" Blog

Books:

My Family: My Two Dads and My Family: My Two Moms - two great new picture books I wish had been read to me when I was a little kid

Families, Families, Families! - A Picture Book featuring lots of different kinds of nontraditional families

Stray - A World where magic is a curse only women bear (and there’s an LGBTQ twist)

Timothy - a gay romance suspense thriller

Sara - a new student, a gay coming out, and then students start dying…

Street Dreams - a gay graffiti artist in New Zealand runs afoul of the local hip hop crew leader (and falls in love…)

M...@you.com - Imogen falls in love with someone she’s never met… another teen girl!

Otherbound - YA fantasy with a Bi Main Character

Sam Dorsey and Gay Popcorn Series ("Sam Dorsey and his 16 Candles" and "Sam Dorsey and his Dirty Dancing”)

Culture, Politics and Gay-Straight Alliance Info:

It’s Banned Books Week - celebrate the Freedom To  Read!

Well-Strung’s “Blank Space” music video - Gay, Fun mash-up of Taylor Swift and Johann Sebastian Bach

Who I Am - a song by the band Memoir about a transgender woman

2. Lee's News

I’ve taken a new, full-time job in children’s publishing/media… and I’m so excited! Read all about it here:

and here’s the announcement at SCBWI: The Blog, explaining that I’ll still be blogging for SCBWI and leading their Team Blog at the two international conferences each year in New York and Los Angeles

3. Children's Literature, SCBWI and Publishing World Updates

Amy Boggs (Donald Maass Literary Agency): Agent Looking For Diversity

JC Kato wins the 2015 Karen Cushman Late Bloomer Award!

How Many Books Did They Write Before Their Debut?

John Cleese on Creativity. Really, Truly Brilliant.

When Editors Say They Need to LOVE a Manuscript to Acquire It…

A Guest Interview with 3-Time Batchelder Award-Winning Translator Laura Watkinson

“Sniffer Dogs” - The 2015 Crystal Kite Interview with Nancy Castaldo

“Feathers: Not Just For Flying” - The 2015 Crystal Kite Interview with Melissa Stewart and Sarah Brannen

“A Dance Like Starlight” - The 2015 Crystal Kite Interview with Kristy Dempsey

“Hurricane Boy” - The 2015 Crystal Kite Interview with Laura Roach Dragon

4. Current Inspiration

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science." — Albert Einstein

Lee Wind, M.Ed.

Founding Blogger of the Award-Winning "I'm Here. I'm Queer. What the Hell do I Read?" at http://www.leewind.org
Official Blogger for SCBWI: THE BLOG at http://scbwi.blogspot.com/ and Captain of SCBWI Team Blog
Sign up for the Lee Wind Newsletter at http://tinyurl.com/957bocl