Lee Wind Newsletter #32 - November 23-December 6, 2013

Lee Wind

Dec 10, 2013, 8:45:32 PM12/10/13
to leewindn...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

I hope you are enjoying the holiday season, and that reading the thirty-second edition of my newsletter will add to the fun!

It's organized into four sections,

1.  New on the "I'm Here. I'm Queer. What the Hell do I Read?" Blog
2.  Lee's News
3.  Children's Literature, SCBWI and Publishing World Updates
4.  Current Inspiration

I hope you find it useful and inspiring.

Thanks for reading!
Namaste,
Lee

p.s.  If you'd like to be in touch, please don't hit reply - just send me an email directly at iamle...@gmail.com  Thanks!

1.  New on the "I'm Here. I'm Queer.  What the Hell do I Read?" Blog:

Books:

Blue Is The Warmest Color- Teen Lesbian Graphic Novel About Growing Up, Falling In Love & Coming Out http://bit.ly/1d7l9gk

The Colony: Book 1&2: Rebellion & Revolution- Dystopian Teen Gay Romance http://bit.ly/IE6C2J

Sock It To Me, Santa! - A Gay Teen Short Story For The Holidays! http://bit.ly/1d7lBLy

An Ordinary Boy- Tom Has a Plan To Come Out During His First Year Of College http://bit.ly/1e4d2Gt

Culture, Politics, & Gay-Straight Alliance Info:

Not All Like That- Christians Proclaim Their Belief in Full LGBTQ Equality http://bit.ly/19AtOFN

Ash Beckham on Coming Out of The Closet... For ALL of us, for ALL our Closets http://bit.ly/1f5zfk2

My Thanksgiving (holiday) resolution http://bit.ly/1gnoEVd

"Face Your Fears"- A Song By the Lesbian Couple & Duo @BriaandChrissy  http://bit.ly/1e4cWi2

2.  Lee's News:

The evaluations from my "Discover LGBTQ History" workshop at Models Of Pride are in, and the comments were heartening. They included:

"My favorite workshop. More people should know about this. It was amazing and an amazing teacher!!"

What was the most valuable aspect of this workshop?
"The presenters passion and style."

And at the end of the session I shared a poem I wrote about how inspired I am by learning our queer history, and an attendee commented, "Your poem was inspiring. Thank you."

The comments made my day!

You can find out more about my Discover LGBTQ History program and all my school presentations here: http://smashingstereotypes.org/discover_glbtq_history_presentations

3.  Children's Literature, SCBWI and Publishing World Updates

The LGBTQ Q&A is Back At #NY14SCBWI http://bit.ly/JcEog6

Publishing “In-Between”– Opportunities Abound! A #scbwi blog guest post By @JulieFHedlund http://bit.ly/IRJNJt

Agents on the diversity gap in publishing http://bit.ly/1hLtA6G #scbwi

The Future of Storytelling #scbwi http://bit.ly/1gXV3iE

A Writer Can Be... a Super-Sneaky Cybils Student: A #scbwi blog guest post By @LauraPSalas http://bit.ly/1hLtGeE

4.  Current Inspiration:

"I have walked the long road to freedom. I
have tried not to falter; I have made missteps
along the way.  But I have discovered the
secret that after climbing a great hill, one
only finds that there are many more hills to
climb.  I have taken a moment here to rest,
to steal a view of the glorious vista that
surrounds me, to look back on the distance
I have come.  But I can only rest for a moment,
for with the freedom come responsibilities,
and I dare not linger, for my long walk is
not ended."

                               Nelson Mandela (1918-2013)
                               Long Road To Freedom (1994)

Lee Wind, M.Ed.