Lee Wind Newsletter #22 - May 26, 2013 - June 7, 2013

Lee Wind

Jun 7, 2013, 12:02:11 PM6/7/13
to leewindn...@googlegroups.com
Hi, and welcome to the twenty-second edition of my newsletter (a two-week compilation!)

It's organized into four sections,

1.  New on the "I'm Here. I'm Queer. What the Hell do I Read?" Blog
2.  Speaker Visit News
3.  Children's Literature, SCBWI and Publishing Updates
4.  Current Inspiration

I hope you find it useful and inspiring.

Thanks for reading!
Namaste,
Lee

p.s.  If you'd like to be in touch, please don't hit reply - just send me an email directly at iamle...@gmail.com  Thanks!

1.  New on the "I'm Here. I'm Queer.  What the Hell do I Read?" Blog:

Books:

The Duchess of the Shallows - Fantasy with a Gay Character http://bit.ly/15cQQ4t

As Others See Us - a gay romance of two generations http://bit.ly/1auRoE5

When Love Comes To Town - A Gay Teen Comes Out in 1990s Ireland http://bit.ly/ZhhDvJ

X/1999: Can Queer Love Save The World? Manga review by Aaron http://bit.ly/11gzlQF

Off Beat - a boy genius spies on boy next door. Manga review by Aaron http://bit.ly/18VFW7U

Born This Way - real stories (& photos) of growing up gay http://bit.ly/18MWTl0

The Revelations of Jude Connor - a teen's gay identity & faith collide http://bit.ly/15xNeKx

Ask The Passengers - a Teen girl Falls In Love (w/ another girl) & struggles to figure it all out http://bit.ly/13L64g8

Culture, Politics, & Gay-Straight Alliance Info:

"I hugged a man in his underwear" - A Religious Man Attends Gay Pride To Apologize http://bit.ly/11p0ttG

2.  Speaker Visit News:

I’m on LinkedIn!

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/lee-wind/17/883/a59

 I love working with schools and organizations to Empower Diversity – to change their culture so everyone can feel safe being their authentic selves and standing up for others!

While I’ve had a LinkedIn account for a few years, I’ve finally filled out my profile and am trying to more fully engage in that online community, so I can do more speaking, more empowering, and continue making a difference for the better.

One great thing my LinkedIn account allows me to do is share diversity news and discussion prompts that are more geared for organizations, like this recent post:

 A powerful example of how a company can have a stated pro-diversity policy but their anti-diversity culture undermines them (and drives customers away.)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/04/abercrombie-protesters-brand-attitude_n_3380628.html

So if you’re on LinkedIn, click http://www.linkedin.com/pub/lee-wind/17/883/a59 and connect with me there, too!

Thanks!

3.  Children's Literature, SCBWI and Publishing Updates

The Power of Video as a Promotion Tool – some approaches to consider http://bit.ly/10xLVeC #scbwi

pre-#la13scbwi interview with agent Joanna Volpe http://bit.ly/10NloGR #scbwi

Keepers of Catherine's Dream: a legacy for a child lost at Sandy Hook #scbwi #kidlit  http://bit.ly/18PgzVr

Short Form E-books as "bridges" between novels http://bit.ly/11JOIgo #scbwi

Malcolm Gladwell at BEA on the future of publishing http://bit.ly/18bvaLx

4.  Current Inspiration:

"If my happiness somehow demeans or diminishes your marriage, then you need to work on your marriage."

Delaware state Sen. Karen Peterson on Tuesday May 7, 2013, in her coming out speech as part of the debate on allowing two men who love each other, or two women who love each other, to marry in Delaware.  Not long after she spoke, the Senate passed the bill 12-9, and Gov. Jack Markell signed it into law later that night, making Delaware the 11th state in the USA to offer marriage to gay and lesbian couples. http://delonline.us/12m4cto

Lee Wind, M.Ed.
Blogger, Author, Speaker

Founding Blogger of "I'm Here. I'm Queer. What the Hell do I Read?"  (Voted Best GLBT Book Blog, BBAW 2009 and 2011) at http://www.leewind.org
Official Blogger for SCBWI: THE BLOG at http://scbwi.blogspot.com/ and Captain of SCBWI Team Blog