It's a bird! It's a plane... No, it's a Lee Wind 2017 Newsletter!

Lee Wind

Jun 19, 2017, 9:56:31 AM6/19/17
to leewindn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone!

I’m delighted to announce that I’ve accepted a new full-time position as Director of Marketing and Programming for the Independent Book Publishers Association (IBPA) — I’m super-excited for this new career adventure! Details here: http://www.leewind.org/2017/06/exciting-news-im-new-director-of.html

And now, to our newsletter! This roundup of the first part of 2017 is in three sections:

1. Posts from the "I'm Here. I'm Queer. What the Hell Do I Read?" Blog

2. Children's Literature, SCBWI, and Publishing World Updates

3. Current Inspiration

I hope you'll find it useful and inspiring! Thanks for reading.

The light in me recognizes and acknowledges the light in you,
Lee

p.s. - If you'd like to be in touch, please don't hit 'reply' - just send me an email directly at iamle...@gmail.com Thanks!

1. Posts from the “I’m Here. I’m Queer. What the Hell Do I Read?” Blog at http://www.leewind.org/

Social Commentaries

#WearOrange to help End Gun Violence

Survivor contestant Zeke writes about being outed as Trans

“The Root of oppression is the loss of memory” - Paula Gunn Allen

The Scoop on the US Census not identifying LGBTQ people

Remembering Gilbert Baker, who created the Gay Pride Rainbow Flag

Inspiration From the First Annual Lambda Lit Fest in Los Angeles

Sulu is gay and it’s no big deal… and that’s a big deal!

Is your LGBTQ Kidlit Book on the ALA’s Rainbow Book List Committee’s Radar?

Grace and History: Moonlight is the first LGBTQ film to win the best picture Oscar

Bayard Rustin’s words inspire me

Nevertheless, #ShePersisted - by Courtney Privett

An Actual “Fake News” Headline

The Revised Charlotte’s Web, Trump Edition

Is Google’s Search Algorithm creating dangerous echo chambers?

#TheFirst100DaysofResistance - Counter-Programming the 1st 100 Days of President Trump

Javier speaks to the fear of undocumented LGBTQ Immigrants

My Birthday, Our Present: Love of the Half-Eaten Peach

Karim Sulayman - I trust you

Perspective, Travel, and Barcelona’s Pooping Christmas Creche Figurines

Trump stacks his cabinet and administration with homophobes. Current count: 7

Videos worth watching:

Chris Tompkins’ TEDx talk “What Children Learn From the Things They Aren’t Told”

New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu on why the city removed four Confederate Statues

Love Has No Labels: Kiss Cam Version

Breakthrough U

A Flashmob dance for LGBTQ Pride in Delhi, India

UN Free & Equal’s New Animate Short Video, “The Lesson”

Ian McKellen performs Shakespeare’s Words On Immigration

Don’t Let The Light Go Out

Books

The 8 LGBTQ Children’s/Young Adult Finalists for the Lambda Literary Awards are announced…

The ALA’s 2017 Rainbow List is out!

Check out Amy Rose Capetta’s Series on LGBTQ YA at Cynsations

Jess, Chunk, and the Road Trip To Infinity

Unbecoming

Last Seen Leaving

Riptide Summer

A Darkly Beating Heart

Of Fire and Stars

History Is All You Left Me

Look Both Ways

Colorblind

Get It Together, Delilah!

The Abyss Surrounds Us and Edge of the Abyss

Alters

The Lotterys Plus One

Honestly Ben

Openly, Honestly

Our Chemical Hearts

Highly Illogical Behavior

Gravity

Beast

Girl Mans Up

Infinite In Between

Weird Girl and What’s His Name

The Otto Digmore Difference

The Other Boy

Lily and Dunkin

Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit

Six of Crows and Crooked Kingdom

Mad About The Hatter

Just Girls

37 Things I Love (In No Particular Order)

Gone, Gone, Gone

Sparks

2. Children's Literature, SCBWI and Publishing World Updates

The 8 Best Things I Get From Attending #SCBWI Conferences

Tanusri Prasanna (Hannigan Salky Geltzler Agency): Agent Looking For Diversity

Words of Pay-It-Forward inspiration from Bram Stoker Award-Winning author Jonathan Maberry

Editor Rosemary Brosnan on Writing Dynamic, Three-Dimensional Secondary Characters

The 2017 Crystal Kite Winners!

SCBWI Members: The Julie Strauss-Gabel Podcast is available now

SCBWI Members: The Linda Sue Park Podcast is available now

Anne Lamott Wisdom

Encouraging Reluctant/Dyslexic Readers: A guest post by Ela Lourenco

Illustrators: Must-Read advice on your portfolio from Art Director and illustrator Giuseppe Castellano

The creative process and the “key to being original”

Debbie Ohi offers some advice on how to support an author or illustrators new book (especially if you can’t afford to buy it.)

Ellen Oh on the Power of Representation

Character development through music - an excellent exercise by Alison Green Myers at the Highlights Blog

5 Ways to celebrate National Poetry Month

Silhouette Foreground: An art trick, and more tips, for illustrators

Innovations in book marketing: Bill Konigsberg’s Free short story that bridges his novel and its sequel

SCBWI Books For Readers Program

Diversity Initiatives: SCBWI Illinois’ Many Voices Outstanding Manuscript Prize

Diversity Initiatives: SCBWI Illinois’ Diverse New Member Pathway

The Professional Writer Skill Set - A guest post by children’s book writer and editor Heidi Fiedler

Wisdom from animators who have crossed over to illustrating children’s books

Helen Wang, Winner of the 2017 Marsh Award for Children’s Literature in Translation: An interview by Nanette McGuinness

Check out this wonderful conversation between Nikki Grimes and Kwame Alexander on the power of poetry

Literary Hub explores the use of sensitivity readers in publishing

Twitter highlights and resonant moments of #NY17SCBWI

Always learning: “People of Color” does not accurately include Native People

SCBWI stands for freedom of expression, for inclusion, for absence of hate, and for equality of opportunity for all!

To be, or not to be… political on social media. That is the question

The 2017 ALA Youth Media Awards Are Announced!

John Green gets very helpful about common mispronunciations

The 2017 SCBWI Spark Award Winners Are…

What’s your new creative habit?

Check out the SCBWI 2016 Winter Reading List

Inspiration and Advice on illustrating Middle Grade novels from Kelly Light

Goals

Anne Lamott’s advice on writer’s block

And the Jane Yolen mid-list author award winners are…

Jambalaya, Diversity, and what one region is doing to make a difference - a guest post by Cheryl Mathis, regional advisor for Louisiana/Mississippi

7 things “best of” lists can teach us

Ever thought about writing merchandise tie-ins?

Voice - a fun exercise that almost looks like procrastination (but isn’t)

Inspiration

A poem about gratitude (and a cool poetry resource)

3. Current Inspiration

“I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve (or save) the world and a desire to enjoy (or savor) the world. That makes it hard to plan the day.” - E.B. White.

* * *

Lee Wind, M.Ed.
pronouns: he/him/his

2015 SCBWI Member of The Year