the big Big BIG Lee Wind Newsletter! (March - August 2015 Edition)

Lee Wind

Sep 1, 2015, 1:54:48 PM9/1/15
to leewindn...@googlegroups.com

Hi my wonderful email list subscribers!

I admit, life has been full. With lots of good stuff. With writing. And blogging! So full, in fact, that newslettering hasn’t made it to the top of my ‘to do’ list in a while.

Quite a while.

Since… February???

Well, I’m happy to say I’ve fixed that.

Here’s a gonzo, huge, super-sized newsletter for MARCH-AUGUST 2015, with links to more than 40 kid and teen books with LGBTQ characters and themes, GSA discussion topics, more than 20 new exclusive interviews with authors, editors and literary agents, and even some fun news about me…

It’s in four sections:

1. New from “I’m Here. I’m Queer. What the Hell Do I Read?”

Books
GSA Info

2. Lee’s News

3. Children’s Literature, SCBWI, Writing and Publishing World Updates

Exclusive Interviews
On Writing Queer Characters
More Great Stuff for Writers and Illustrators

4. Current Inspiration

I hope you find it useful, informative, and entertaining.

Read on, and thanks!

Lee

p.s. - If you'd like to be in touch, please don't hit 'reply' - just send me an email directly at iamle...@gmail.com Thanks!

1. New from “I’m Here. I’m Queer. What the Hell Do I Read?”

Books:

Morris Micklewhite and the Tangerine Dress – A picture book about a boy in a dress… and how that’s not just okay, it’s pretty great http://www.leewind.org/2015/08/morris-micklewhite-and-tangerine-dress.html

Made By Raffi – a picture book about being your authentic self that I wish had been read to me when I was a little kid http://www.leewind.org/2015/08/made-by-raffi-picture-book-about-being.html

More Than This – a gay teen dies. And then wakes up. And then has to figure out what’s going on… http://www.leewind.org/2015/08/more-than-this-gay-teen-dies-and-then.html

Andy Squared – One twin has a secret gay love. The other twin… is pissed.

http://www.leewind.org/2015/08/andy-squared-one-twin-has-secret-gay.html

Graceling, Fire and Bitterblue – The Best-Selling Fantasy Series and its queer content http://www.leewind.org/2015/08/graceling-fire-and-bitterblue.html

Tristant and Elijah – A secret gay crush. A secret letter from the past. And maybe… a chance for first love

http://www.leewind.org/2015/08/tristant-and-elijah-secret-gay-crush.html

The Balance – A dystopian future, love between two teen guys and a battle for survival

http://www.leewind.org/2015/07/the-balance-dystopian-future-love.html

Remember Me – A teenage girl’s life with grief, art and love (with another girl!)

http://www.leewind.org/2015/07/remember-me-teenage-girls-life-with.html

The Waiting Tree – Simon loves Stephen, but life (and religion, and family) get in the way

http://www.leewind.org/2015/07/the-waiting-tree-simon-loves-stephen.html

Sam & Aaron – a wordless online graphic short story that’s free  (and heartwarming!)

http://www.leewind.org/2015/07/sam-aaron-wordless-online-graphic-short.html

Lumberjanes, Vol. 1 – a graphic novel where five best pals at summer camp battle supernatural critters… and two of the girls find love, with each other!

http://www.leewind.org/2015/07/lumberjanes-vol-1-graphic-novel-where.html

Love Spell – a gender-fluid teen sets out to catch Mr. Right

http://www.leewind.org/2015/07/love-spell-gender-fluid-teen-sets-out.html

Heather Has Two Mommies – A Brand-New Edition of the Modern Classic

http://www.leewind.org/2015/07/heather-has-two-mommies-brand-new.html

Tango Is Ten! – And Tango Makes Three in a New 10th Anniversary Edition

http://www.leewind.org/2015/06/tango-is-ten.html

Red: A Crayon’s Story – A great picture book about being your authentic self… even if that doesn’t match your label!

http://www.leewind.org/2015/06/red-crayons-story-great-picture-book.html

Perfect – Ellen Hopkins’ Bestselling YA novel in poems about four high school seniors whose goals of perfection are as different as the paths they take to get there.

http://www.leewind.org/2015/06/perfect.html

More Happy Than Not – a teen who finds happiness being queer turns to newfangled science to wipe his memories and straighten himself out

http://www.leewind.org/2015/06/more-happy-than-not-teen-who-finds.html

The Bitter Moon Saga _ Triane’s Son Rising, Triane’s Son Fighting, Triane’s Son Learning and Triane’s Son Reigning

http://www.leewind.org/2015/06/the-bitter-moon-saga-four-book-bisexual.html

The Porcupine of Truth – A road trip involving family history, gay history, the girlfriend the hero can’t have (because she’s into girls) and a missing grandfather

http://www.leewind.org/2015/06/the-porcupine-of-truth-road-trip.html

Proxy – A Science Fiction thriller with two teen action heroes, and one of them is gay

http://www.leewind.org/2015/05/proxy-science-fiction-thriller-with-two.html

Guardian – The Sequel to the Gay Teen Science Fiction Thriller “Proxy”

http://www.leewind.org/2015/06/guardian-sequel-to-gay-teen-science.html

Caught in the Crossfire – Two teen boys at bible camp, and one forbidden love (The Crossfire trilogy: Caught in the Crossfire, Searching For Grace, and Taking The Stand)

http://www.leewind.org/2015/05/caught-in-crossfire-two-teen-boys-at.html

Giraffe People – a teenage girl comes of age… and comes out

http://www.leewind.org/2015/05/giraffe-people-teenage-girl-comes-of.html

The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap – YA historical fiction that’s been called “a woman’s Brokeback Mountain”

http://www.leewind.org/2015/05/the-persecution-of-mildred-dunlap-ya.html

Because of Her – London and Lesbian Teen Love

http://www.leewind.org/2015/05/because-of-her-london-and-lesbian-teen.html

Ring and the Crown, The – an alternative history/fantasy world of magic with a secondary gay male couple

http://www.leewind.org/2015/05/the-ring-crown-alternative.html

Companion To Wolves, A – Fantasy with human-animal bonding and a gay cultural plotline

http://www.leewind.org/2015/04/a-companion-to-wolves-fantasy-with.html

A Hero At The End Of The World – A Queer Romance Fantasy Adventure

http://www.leewind.org/2015/04/a-hero-at-end-of-world-queer-romance.html

The Art Of Wishing and The Fourth Wish – a paranormal romance duology with a Bi love interest and gender fluidity

http://www.leewind.org/2015/04/the-art-of-wishing-and-fourth-wish.html

Maxine Wore Black – A teen transgender and lesbian love story… and murder!

http://www.leewind.org/2015/03/maxine-wore-black-teen-transgender-and.html

Swans and Klons – a science fiction adventure starring a lesbian teen couple

http://www.leewind.org/2015/03/swans-and-klons-science-fiction.html

Frenemy Of The People – Two teen girls who hate each other turn out to actually like each other… a lot!

http://www.leewind.org/2015/03/frenemy-of-people-two-teen-girls-who.html

Fifty Yards and Holding – a street gang leader and a high school sports star fall in love (gay teen love, that is!)

http://www.leewind.org/2015/03/fifty-yards-and-holding-street-gang.html

Hold Me Closer: The Tiny Cooper Story – “A Musical Novel” about a gay teen

http://www.leewind.org/2015/03/hold-me-closer-tiny-cooper-story.html

Forgive Me If I’ve Told You This Before – Faith, Politics, and Young Lesbian Love

http://www.leewind.org/2015/03/forgive-me-if-ive-told-you-this-before.html

The Summer I Wasn’t Me – a teenage girl goes to an ex-gay summer camp but it doesn’t work out the way she (and everyone else) expects

http://www.leewind.org/2015/03/the-summer-i-wasnt-me-teenage-girl-goes.html

This Is Not A Love Story – gay homeless teens take care of each other

http://www.leewind.org/2015/03/this-is-not-love-story-gay-homeless.html

I’ll Give You The Sun – Estranged Twins (one of whom is gay) deal with loss and love and one twin’s coming out

http://www.leewind.org/2015/03/ill-give-you-sun-estranged-twins-one-of.html

He Said, She Said – Newbery-Winner Kwame Alexander’s YA boy-girl romance with a lesbian best friend

http://www.leewind.org/2015/03/he-said-she-said-newbery-winner-kwame.html

The ALA’s 2015 Stonewall Book Award Winner and Honorees

http://www.leewind.org/2015/02/the-american-library-association.html

GSA Info:

Hell No – Identity is NOT a costume! Stand up for Caitlyn Jenner and ALL Trans people! http://www.leewind.org/2015/08/hell-no-identity-is-not-costume-stand.html

Tyler Ford, featured on “Breaking the Binary” PBS Digital Studios’ First Person #11

http://www.leewind.org/2015/08/tyler-ford-featured-on-breaking-binary.html

The Boy Scouts lift their ban on Gay Scout Leaders!

http://www.leewind.org/2015/07/the-boy-scouts-lift-their-ban-on-gay.html

Girl Scouts is #ForEVERYGirl – a wonderful story about standing up to prejudice (and being rewarded for that!)

http://www.leewind.org/2015/07/girl-scouts-is-foreverygirl-wonderful.html

A High School Junior peacefully counter-protests two homophobes… and starts a movement!

http://www.leewind.org/2015/07/a-high-school-junior-peacefully-counter.html

Jon Stewart on Caitlyn Jenner (and the sexism of our media)

http://www.leewind.org/2015/07/jon-stewart-on-caitlyn-jenner-and.html

Project UROK – No Matter What You’re Going Through, You’re Not  Alone

http://www.leewind.org/2015/06/project-urok-no-matter-what-youre-going.html

A great new video from Teen Line  – LGBTQ: Understanding Sexual Orientation and Gender Identities

http://www.leewind.org/2015/06/a-great-new-video-from-teen-line-lgbtq.html

A coming out video you should see: Jackson Bird comes out

http://www.leewind.org/2015/05/a-coming-out-video-you-should-see.html

So you’re straight, and this gay guy has a crush on you… what do you do?

http://www.leewind.org/2015/05/so-youre-straight-and-this-gay-guy-has.html

Former Homophobic Bully comes out as gay, and apologizes

http://www.leewind.org/2015/04/former-homophobic-bully-comes-out-as.html

Sometimes You’re a Caterpillar… and sometimes you’re a snail – a great short video about privilege and diversity

http://www.leewind.org/2015/04/sometimes-youre-caterpillar-and.html

What the Hell? Alabama Judge Who Fought Marriage Equality Wins “Letter From A Birmingham Jail” Award

http://www.leewind.org/2015/04/what-hell-alabama-judge-who-fought.html

Some Gertrude Stein to celebrate national poetry month

http://www.leewind.org/2015/04/some-gertrude-stein-to-celebrate.html

Mia Yamamoto – A Transgender Heroine

http://www.leewind.org/2015/04/mia-yamamoto-transgender-heroine.html

Would Hogwarts Have a GSA?

http://www.leewind.org/2015/01/would-hogwarts-have-gsa.html

2. Lee’s News

How Much Is a Million And a Half?

http://www.leewind.org/2015/08/how-much-is-million-and-half.html

I’m SCBWI’s 2015 Member of the Year!

http://www.leewind.org/2015/08/im-scbwis-2015-member-of-year.html

Awesome News: My marriage is legal everywhere in the U.S.A.!

http://www.leewind.org/2015/06/breaking-awesome-news-my-marriage-is.html

The 2015 L.A. Times Festival of Books – Highlights and a Publishers Weekly shout-out

http://www.leewind.org/2015/04/the-2015-la-times-festival-of-books.html

Join me at the LA Times Festival of Books:

http://www.leewind.org/2015/04/join-me-this-weekend-at-la-times.html

I’m On Faculty at #LA15SCBWI, The 2015 SCBWI Summer Conference!

http://www.leewind.org/2015/04/im-on-faculty-at-la15scbwi-2015-scbwi.html

I’m The Cybils Featured Blogger For April 2015!

http://www.leewind.org/2015/04/im-cybils-featured-blogger-for-april.html

3. Children’s Literature, SCBWI, Writing and Publishing World Updates

Exclusive Interviews

Best-selling author and illustrator and author/illustrator Adam Rex – The Very Funny Pre-#LA15SBWI Interview

http://www.leewind.org/2015/05/in-which-i-interview-amazing-adam-rex.html

Best-Selling Author and Editor Jane O’Connor – The Pre-#LA15SCBWI Interview

http://www.leewind.org/2015/06/best-selling-author-and-editor-jane.html

Picture Book Author and #WeNeedDiverseBooks Executive Vice President of Outreach Miranda Paul – The Pre-#LA15SCBWI Interview

http://www.leewind.org/2015/06/picture-book-author-and-we-need-diverse.html

Heather Alexander (Pippin Properties): Agent Looking for Diversity Interview http://www.leewind.org/2015/08/heather-alexander-pippin-properties.html

Bridget Smith (Dunham Literary): Agent Looking for Diversity Interview

http://www.leewind.org/2015/07/bridget-smith-dunham-literary-agent.html

Joanna Volpe (New Leaf Literary and Media): Agent Looking For Diversity Interview

http://www.leewind.org/2015/06/joanna-volpe-new-leaf-literary-and.html

Sarah Davies (Greenhouse Literary): Agent Looking for Diversity Interview

http://www.leewind.org/2015/05/sarah-davies-greenhouse-literary-agent.html

Tina Wexler (ICM Partners): Agent Looking For Diversity Interview

http://www.leewind.org/2015/04/tina-wexler-icm-partners-agent-looking.html

Marietta Zacker (Nancy Gallt Literary Agency): Agent Looking For Diversity Interview

http://www.leewind.org/2015/03/marietta-zacker-nancy-gallt-literary.html

JC Kato wins the 2015 Karen Cushman Late Bloomer Award!

http://scbwi.blogspot.com/2015/09/jc-kato-wins-2015-karen-cushman-late.html

Candace Fleming on winning the 2015 Golden Kite Award (for Nonfiction) for her “The Family Romanov: Murder, Rebellion & The Fall of Imperial Russia”

http://scbwi.blogspot.com/2015/07/candace-fleming-on-winning-2015-golden.html

Deborah Wiles on winning the 2015 Golden Kite Award (for fiction) for her novel “Revolution”

http://scbwi.blogspot.com/2015/07/deborah-wiles-on-winning-2015-golden.html

Melissa Sweet on winning the 2015 Golden Kite Award for picture book illustration (again!) for “The Right Word: Roget and his Thesaurus”

http://scbwi.blogspot.com/2015/07/melissa-sweet-on-winning-golden-kite.html

Kristy Dempsey on her Golden Kite-Winning Picture Book text for “A Dance Like Starlight: One Ballerina’s Dream”

http://scbwi.blogspot.com/2015/06/kristy-dempsey-on-her-golden-kite.html

Michelle Knudsen on winning the 2015 Sid Fleischman Award (for humor) for her YA Novel “Evil Librarian”

http://scbwi.blogspot.com/2015/07/michelle-knudsen-on-winning-2015-sid.html

Wendy Ulmer and Sandy Crabtree’s “My Twelve Maine Christmas Days” – The Spark Award Interviews

http://scbwi.blogspot.com/2015/05/wendy-ulmer-and-sandy-crabtrees-my.html

W. Nikola-Lisa’s “The Men Who Made The Yankees” – The Spark Award Interviews

http://scbwi.blogspot.com/2015/05/w-nikola-lisas-men-who-made-yankees.html

Heidi Kim, 2014 Winner of the SCBWI On-The-Verge Emerging Voices Award

http://scbwi.blogspot.com/2015/04/heidi-kim-2014-winner-of-scbwi-on-verge.html

Adria Quinones, 2014 Winner of the SCBWI On-The-Verge Emerging Voices Award

http://scbwi.blogspot.com/2015/04/adria-quinones-2014-winner-of-scbwi-on.html

Sanna Stanley is the winner of the Jane Yolen mid-list author award!

http://scbwi.blogspot.com/2015/03/sanna-stanley-is-winner-of-jane-yolen.html

Jane Mitchell is the runner up for the Jane Yolen mid-list author award!

http://scbwi.blogspot.com/2015/03/jane-mitchell-is-runner-up-for-jane.html

Lesléa Newman on poetry, mentoring and writing for adults, teens and kids

http://scbwi.blogspot.com/2015/03/leslea-newman-on-poetry-mentoring-and.html

On Writing Queer Characters

The LGBTQ Q&A sessions at SCBWI’s twice-annual International Conferences – a resource – and community for writing and illustrating LGBTQ characters and themes for kids, tweens and teens

http://www.leewind.org/2015/06/the-lgbtq-q-sessions-at-scbwis-twice.html

Mary E. Cronin’s Workshop on Gay (LGBT) & Questioning Characters In Middle Grade: A Guest Post

http://www.leewind.org/2015/05/mary-e-cronins-workshop-on-gay-lgbt.html

Judith Marcin: Guest Post on Crafting Queer Characters

http://www.leewind.org/2015/05/judith-marcin-guest-post-on-crafting.html

Dear Authors – a queer teen’s spoken word poem about LGBTQAI+ representation

http://www.leewind.org/2015/05/writing-queer-characters-launching-new.html

More Great Stuff For Writers and Illustrators

An excellent reader-question interview with Author David Levithan

http://www.leewind.org/2015/03/an-excellent-interview-with-ya-author.html

#LA15SCBWI – My Top 10 Verbs For the conference ahead:

http://www.leewind.org/2015/07/la15scbwi-my-top-ten-verbs-for.html

Gems from #LA15SCBWI

http://www.leewind.org/2015/08/gems-from-la15scbwi.html

Faculty Guests at  #NY15SCBWI’s LGBTQ Q&A

http://www.leewind.org/2015/02/if-youre-at-ny15scbwi-i-hope-youll-join.html

Eliza Wheeler on “The ‘I Suck’ Dilemma” – a guest post

http://scbwi.blogspot.com/2015/08/eliza-wheeler-on-i-suck-dilemma-guest.html

5 Great Middle Grade and YA Novel Tips from #LA15SCBWI

http://scbwi.blogspot.com/2015/08/5-great-middle-grade-and-ya-novel-tips.html

Writing Young Adult Fiction For Dummies – A great craft book by Deborah Halverson

http://scbwi.blogspot.com/2015/08/writing-young-adult-fiction-for-dummies.html

5 Amazing picture book tips from #LA15SCBWI

http://scbwi.blogspot.com/2015/08/5-amazing-picture-book-tips-from.html

Tag Crowd – A useful tool for writers

http://scbwi.blogspot.com/2015/08/tag-crowd-useful-editing-tool-for.html

Social media fans unlock an annotated extra genesis chapter of Laini Taylor’s fantasy series: Innovations in book marketing

http://scbwi.blogspot.com/2015/08/social-media-fans-unlock-annotated.html

A guest post on naming your characters by Jennifer Moss

http://scbwi.blogspot.com/2015/08/a-guest-post-on-naming-your-characters.html

Twitter highlights from #LA15SCBWI

http://scbwi.blogspot.com/2015/08/twitter-highlights-from-la15scbwi.html

A handful of tips for #LA15SCBWI

http://scbwi.blogspot.com/2015/07/a-handful-of-tips-for-la15scbwi.html

“The calamity of the disappearing school libraries” – an article well-worth reading

http://scbwi.blogspot.com/2015/07/the-calamity-of-disappearing-school.html

The 2015 Golden Kite and Sid Fleischman Award Winners!

http://scbwi.blogspot.com/2015/03/the-2015-golden-kite-and-sid-fleischman.html

SCBWI Carolinas expands the definition of diversity

http://scbwi.blogspot.com/2015/07/scbwi-carolinas-expands-definition-of.html

#LA15SCBWI Pre-Conference interview roundups

http://scbwi.blogspot.com/2015/07/the-2015-scbwi-summer-conference-is.html

Greg Pincus’ social media consultations at #LA15SCBWI

http://scbwi.blogspot.com/2015/06/greg-pincus-social-media-consultations.html

Translation at #LA15SCBWI: Avery Udagawa interviews Nanette McGuinness

http://scbwi.blogspot.com/2015/06/translation-at-la15scbwi-avery-udagawa.html

Writing a sequel? YA Author Brent Hartinger has some rules that are thought-provoking (and pretty wise)

http://scbwi.blogspot.com/2015/07/writing-sequel-ya-author-brent.html

On the future of publishing: Emma Dryden

http://scbwi.blogspot.com/2015/07/on-future-of-publishing-emma-dryden.html

Writing Advice from novelist Christie Watson

http://scbwi.blogspot.com/2015/06/writing-advice-from-novelist-christie.html

Children’s Books in Translation

http://scbwi.blogspot.com/2015/06/childrens-books-in-translation.html

Anatomy of a scene – a very cool resource for writers and illustrators

http://scbwi.blogspot.com/2015/06/anatomy-of-scene-very-cool-resource-for.html

“Self-portrait of the artist as ungrateful black writer” – an excellent article to read. And consider.

http://scbwi.blogspot.com/2015/06/self-portrait-of-artist-as-ungrateful.html

SCBWI Insight – the latest benefit of membership

http://scbwi.blogspot.com/2015/06/scbwi-insight-latest-benefit-of.html

Rebecca Stead on Why Writers Write

http://scbwi.blogspot.com/2015/06/rebecca-stead-on-why-writers-write.html

The Future of Libraries – and some inspiration for those of us writing/illustrating works set in the future

http://scbwi.blogspot.com/2015/05/the-future-of-libraries-and-some.html

Are you using night time logic or day time logic in your work-in-progress?

http://scbwi.blogspot.com/2015/05/are-you-using-night-time-logic-or-day.html

The 2014 Spark Award Winners are…

http://scbwi.blogspot.com/2015/04/and-2014-spark-award-winners-are.html

The 2015 Crystal Kite Winners!

http://scbwi.blogspot.com/2015/05/its-2015-crystal-kite-award-winners.html

Handling the Truth – A book on writing memoir

http://scbwi.blogspot.com/2015/05/handling-truth-book-on-writing-memoir.html

#UnReadBook It Up – a fantastic Bruno Mars Uptown Funk Parody: UnRead Book

http://scbwi.blogspot.com/2015/05/unreadbook-it-up-fantastic-bruno-mars.html

A New (Monthly) opportunity for illustrators

http://scbwi.blogspot.com/2015/05/a-new-monthly-opportunity-for.html

The ALA’s Top 10 most frequently challenged books of 2014 are… (and a great story about a book banning that backfired!)

http://scbwi.blogspot.com/2015/04/the-alas-top-10-most-frequently.html

Gayle Forman’s advice on success… and it’s pretty brilliant

http://scbwi.blogspot.com/2015/04/gayle-formans-advice-on-success-and-its.html

Reading can transport your brain… and not just as a figure of speech

http://scbwi.blogspot.com/2015/04/reading-can-transport-your-brain-and.html

On completeness, incompleteness and stories

http://scbwi.blogspot.com/2015/03/on-completeness-incompleteness-and.html

Giuseppe Castellano’s “10 Mistakes Illustrators Make” is essential reading

http://scbwi.blogspot.com/2015/03/giuseppe-castellanos-10-mistakes.html

If strangers talked to everybody like they talk to writers – a fun article by Lincoln Michel

http://scbwi.blogspot.com/2015/03/if-strangers-talked-to-everybody-like.html

Got a six-figure deal? Agent Jennifer Laughran helps us do the numbers…

http://scbwi.blogspot.com/2015/03/got-six-figure-deal-agent-jennifer.html

4. Current Inspiration:

Quote: “Don’t try to change the world, find something that you love and do it every day. Do that for the rest of your life, and eventually, the world will change.”

-- 1:42 seconds in to the Macklemore and Ryan Lewis song – “Growing Up” feat. Ed Sheeran https://youtu.be/6mhtJduoCZ0