Oh My Gosh! It's a Lee Wind 2016 Newsletter

Lee Wind

Nov 27, 2016, 8:36:47 PM11/27/16
to leewindn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone!

Yes, that rarest of communications is back…

It's in four sections:

1. Posts from the "I'm Here. I'm Queer. What the Hell do I Read?" Blog

2. Lee's News

3. Children's Literature, SCBWI and Publishing World Updates

4. Current Inspiration

I hope you'll find it useful and inspiring!

Thanks for reading!
Lee

p.s. - If you'd like to be in touch, please don't hit 'reply' - just send me an email directly at iamle...@gmail.com Thanks!

1. New on the "I'm Here. I'm Queer. What the Hell do I Read?" Blog

Books:

Caught Inside - Luke spends a summer surfing and, to his surprise, falling for a guy!

Havemercy - steampunk YA with magical mechanical dragons and 2 main gay characters

The Darkest Part of the Forest - Hazel is a fighter, Ben is a gay artist, and Faeries “have come to exact their price”

Wonders of the Invisible World - Secrets, A Curse, And a childhood friend who might be much more…

Breakthrough - Nonfiction about a gay teen scientist, Jack Andraka

Crashing America - A homeless queer teen escapes San Francisco for the American heartland, longing for a sense of home

Wanted - A closeted lesbian bounty hunter dealing with a bounty on her own head… and a nosy kid sister

Pukawiss the Outcast - a teen explores their previously-hidden-from-them native heritage, and their two-spirit sense of self

Under the Lights - Teen TV Stars, lots of drama, and a lesbian love

Gracefully Grayson - A middle grade transgender Novel

Worm Loves Worm - a picture book I wish had been read to me when I was a little kid

This Is Where It Ends - a shooter traps his high school peers, told from four perspectives (including two halves of a teen lesbian couple.)

The Secret Ingredient - A 16-year-old girl with two dads, and the summer that changes everything

Me Being Me is Exactly As Insane As You Being You - a novel in lists, with an LGBTQ twist early on

Best Friend Next Door - two ten-year-old girls (one with two moms) become neighbors, and maybe they’ll become friends, too

Three Truths and a Lie - a YA Thriller with a gay main character

Mariposa Gown - the Gay Latino Teen Sequel to “The Mariposa Club”

Draw The Line - Can the Gay Teen Who Created a Gay Superhero become a hero in real life as well?

One Man Guy - Two young guys grow up, find themselves, and fall in love - “with some help from nearby New York City”

Symptoms of Being Human: Boy or Girl? Yes.

Before Goodbye - Grief, a straight romance, and a lesbian best friend (whose girlfriend hates you)

The V-Word: True Stories about First-Time Sex. “It’s your sex life - take charge of it”

Honor Girl - A Graphic Memoir about first love, and first heartbreak, at an all-girl camp

Without Annette - A teen lesbian relationship on the rocks

Drag Teen - A Gay Teen enters a drag pageant to get the scholarship he needs

The Marvels: An adventure and a mystery, the first half in pictures, the second half in words

This Day In June - a pride parade celebration and definitely a picture book I wish had been read to me when I was a little kid

Camp Carnage - Gay Teen Horror

Captain Underpants and the Sensational Saga of Sir Stinks-A-Lot: A Gay future for a beloved chapter book character

Inclination - a 17-year-old guy tries to figure out if he can be Gay and Christian, too

Service: A Love Story - a in boarding school, one teen guy teaches another how to love

None of the Above - a teen discovers their gender isn’t what they thoughts… and the whole school finds out

Toe Tag Riot - a comedy/horror comic series about a rock band cursed to become zombies, so they track down terrible, homophobic people to kill… and two of the ‘good’ zombies are a lesbian couple (and another is Bi)

Cevin’s Deadly Sin - a hetero teen cross dresser struggles with first love, identity, and bullying

Anything Could Happen - a teen guy is in love with his straight best friend

Double Exposure - raised as a boy, Alyx knows she’s a girl… but with a body that’s ambiguous, every fresh start is a struggle

About A Girl - ‘astronomy meets mythology’ in this teen novel where love and identity transcend gender

Lizard Radio - it’s the future, and 15-year-old Kivali doesn’t fit into her gender-rigid culture

Charm School Graphique Vol 1 - A YA Paranormal with a Lesbian Fairy and a Vampire Biker competing for a good teen witch Bunny’s affections

Jacob, King of Portalia - middle grade gay fantasy

Come To My Window - two teen girls start a secret relationship across a narrow alley in New York city

“George” is really Melissa - but how can she be herself? A young a very well done middle grade Trans story

GEORGE wins the 2016 Lammy Award!

My Little Brony: An “Unofficial” Novel about finding the magic of friendship

Tell Me Again How A Crush Should Feel - a Persian teenage girl in an American high school comes of age, comes out, and deals with the drama of a high school love triangle

The Melody of the Gears: His Brother’s Keeper - science fiction, magic, revolution, and a teen boy’s crush on a beautiful stranger who has lost his memory

A Hard Day’s Night - Two teen guys make a deal to spend a super-stereotypical “Gay” Day and Night together to figure out if they could be gay… and in love

The Before Now and After Then - when his identical brother dies, a gay teen has to create a new world of his own (and has his first relationship)

Carry On - An incredibly fun (and New York Times Bestselling) Gay Teen Wizard Fantasy

Freak Camp: Posts From A Previously Normal Girl - a 13 year-old girl comes of age (with an LGBT main character, and an LGBT parent and step-parent)

It’s Perfectly Normal: Changing Bodies, Growing Up, Sex and Sexual Health - for ages 10 and up - an excellent resource!

Every Inferno - a teen mystery with a gay and a questioning character

Intervention - a high school senior sets his sights on the hot college guy who works at the same cafe and discovers “a whole new understanding of what sex can be when love is there too.”

Vivaldi in the Dark - Jayden falls in love with Darren, a troubled violinist

Five, Six, Seven, Nate! - Nate’s broadway dreams are coming true (and this middle grade book won the Lambda Literary Award!)

Ouch! Moments: When Words Are Used in Hurtful Ways - a picture book about microaggressions. For Kids. That Works.

Dive - a teen girl, dealing with her father’s illness, comes out and begins a relationship with another girl

Cub - 17-year-old Travis comes out and discovers his community within Gay culture

Ignorance is Bliss - Andy is a Trans teen dealing with their Mother’s mental illness. Then Andy make a friend who is also Trans

Willful Machines - a science fiction action thriller, starring a gay closeted son of a US President and a sentient internet program out to kill him

Not Broken, Just Bent - Ben and Timmy are two guys in high school. Childhood friends. But Timmy is in love with Ben…

Kaleidoscope - an anthology of diverse YA Science Fiction and Fantasy stories (with about half the stories featuring QUILTBAG characters) where diversity isn’t the main issue

The Red Sheet - a bully wakes up one day a different person… with a crush on the guy he used to bully

The Kitsune Trilogy - A YA Fantasy where the two male leads crush on each other and eventually figure out their feelings are mutual

Undone - Jem’s gay best friend’s suicide (after being outed by a video that goes viral) drives Jem to find whoever is responsible… and make them pay

Riding The Rainbow - two fifth grade girls, one with two moms, the other with two dads, deal with bullying, a kidnapping, and a moment of truth

Husky - a middle grade novel about changes and figuring out who you are before anyone else puts a label on you

Two Weeks With The Queen - a middle grade story of an Australian Boy (whose brother is dying of cancer) and his friendship with a Gay man (whose partner is dying of AIDS)

Us Three - Three teen boys fall in love, each with the other and all three together

These Things Happen - 16-year-old Wesley moves in with his dad and his dad’s partner… and then Wesley’s best friend comes out

Jacob’s New Dress - a picture book about a gender non-conforming little boy that I wish had been read to me when I was a little kid!

The Reappearing Act: Coming Out as Gay on a college basketball team led by Born-Again Christians - a memoir by Kate Fagan

The Screaming Divas - an All-Grrl Rock Band in 1980s California with estranged friends, lesbian crushes and big dreams

Wollstone - a Gay boarding school story that’s also a contemporary fairy tale fantasy

Her Name In The Sky - first friendship, then love? With a girl? That’s not what 17-year-old Hannah planned!

Fag - Aaron, a closeted high schooler, deals with homophobia online and in the real world

Playing A Part - a young Gay man grows up in his parent’s puppet theater… in homophobic Russia

A fun peek at some LGBTQ titles for kids and teens that are coming up

Lambda Literary Finalists for LGBT Children’s/Young Adult

The ALA Awards of Special Note for Queer Kid and Teen Readers and their Allies

Culture, Politics and Gay-Straight Alliance Info:

What I’m thinking about This Thanksgiving 2016

Japanese Internment - We need to learn, and remember, and be vigilant so we don’t allow this to happen again

“Making Gay History” Podcast - my new podcast obsession

A mother and her 8-year-old Trans son talk, and we get to listen

Your cape is ready. Join me.

Dear President-Elect Trump: You used to be your own boss. Not any more.

Alok Vaid-Menon: Gender Selfie-Determination

A revised birth announcement for a Trans teen

Doug Locke’s #ThisCouldBeUs - a gay love music video you have to see

Have you been following the Alicia Keys #nomakeup movement?

October was LGBTQ History Month!

Magician and Comedian Justin Willman explains everything you need to know about Trans and Gender non-conforming people using bathrooms in under 2 minutes

Your #BannedBooks Week Reading List

More on Banned Books Week (and how diverse books are more challenged than other books)

The Namaste Dilemma

A soup commercial with two dads!

Wing’s 1927 First On-Screen Same-Sex Kiss

The Journey of Transgender Model Tracey Africa Norman

StoryCorps Atlanta shares the story of Craig Pigg and Michael Prudent… and their teenage son Cooper

Consent: It’s As Simple As Tea

Pokemon Go and the Landscape of Hate

Ambassador Samantha Power (US permanent representative to the United Nations) Gives a speech on LGBTI Human Rights - and it’s well worth reading!

49 Dead is not just a number, or a horrible statistic. These were people, with lives, and loves…

What the world needs now - a song for Orlando

#SpreadTheLGBTQLove - a way to do something to make things better

Spread The Love

Orlando’s Hate Crime against the LGBTQ Community

The Spoon Theory - a way to better ‘get’ what people living with chronic illnesses deal with every day

Raqeul D’Apice’s open letter to the female hat-wearing dog in “Go, Dog. Go!”

Istanbul Pride is Banned - help show your support

“Finally” - Matt Fishel’s music video celebration of Gay love

Inspiration from Gloria Steinem

May 17 is the International Day against homophobia, transphobia, and biphobia

The Pseudonymous Closet… or should I say “Wardrobe”

#GiveElsaAGirlfriend - love this!

Thoughts on the Day of Silence

Day of Silence info

The Comma Queen on Gender Neutral Pronouns

#MoreThanMarriage - a great video by a college sophomore

The Next Time someone asks about why we need Black History Month

College Guide for current and prospective LGBT Students - a web resource

Coming Out For Animals - a fascinating video about the overlap between LGBTQ and Animal rights

Bill Konigsberg Guest Post: “The Lessons I Learned From the Trevor Project Awareness Tour”

2. Lee's News

It’s official! I’ve sold my first book!

I’ve got a new author photo!

My blog turned 9 and passed 1.9 million page loads!

I’m interviewed over at “Miss Marple’s Musings!”

3. Children's Literature, SCBWI and Publishing World Updates

Jennifer Udden (Barry Goldblatt Literary): Agent Looking For Diversity

Ayanna Coleman (Quill Shift Literary Agency): Agent Looking For Diversity

Rachel Stark (Sky Pony Press): Editor Looking For Diversity

Tricia Lawrence (Erin Murphy Literary): Agent Looking For Diversity

Penny Moore (Fine Print Literary): Agent Looking For Diversity

Linda Camacho (Prospect Agency): Agent Looking For Diversity

Linda Epstein (Emerald City Literary Agency): Agent Looking For Diversity

Laura Zats (Red Sofa Literary): Agent Looking For Diversity

Thao Le (Sandra Dijkstra & Associates Literary Agency): Agent Looking For Diversity

Sara Megibow (KT Literary): Agent Looking For Diversity

Maria Vicente (P.S. Literary): Agent Looking For Diversity

Jim McCarthy (Dystel & Goderich Literary Management): Agent Looking For Diversity

Putting out the call to Editor and Agents who want more diversity in their submissions

Grace Lin’s brilliant TEDx talk; The Windows and MIrrors of your Child’s Bookshelf

A moving essay by Alexander London on school visits and being a gay children’s book author

I’ll be at #NY17SCBWI… Will you?

Highlights from the 2016 LA Times Festival of Books

Twitter Highlights from Digital Book World 2016

Digital Book World Pre-Conference Interview Roundup: Christopher Kenneally, Peter Hildeck-Smith, Jane Friedman, Kristen McLean, and Lorraine Shanley

My Dozen Highlights of #NY16SCBWI

Megan Tingley: The Pre-#NY16SCBWI Faculty Interview

A cool poetry resource

John Green’s response to his “Looking For Alaska” being the number one banned book of 2015

Butt-In-Chair inspiration

#KidLitSafetyPins - our community stands against bullying and marginalization

Kathleen Burkinshaw wins the Honor Book Award for the SCBWI Marketing Grant

Caleb Krisp’s “Five Habits of HIghly Ineffective Authors”

The Book Blast 10 Plus Club!

Halloween Advice for writing “scary” from R.L. Stine (of Goosebumps fame!)

Nancy Bo Flood Guest post on winning the 2016 SCBWI Marketing Grant

Illustrator Jon Burgerman’s “20 Top Character Design Tips” on Creative Bloq

Curtis Sittenfeld shares “24 things no one tells you about book publishing”

The SCBWI 2016 Work-in-Progress Grant Winners and the Karen Cushman Late Bloomer Award Winner

Chris Jackson on why a multicultural imprint matters

A new kind of censorship: one-star bigotry on Goodreads

Celebrating the freedom to Read (a.k.a. Banned Books Week)

Paul O. Zelinsky offers some great advice for illustrators

To honor Anna Dewdney, read to a child

Sometimes a picture (or an infographic) says it best: Diversity in Kid Lit in 2015

A group of men can be ‘guys,’ but what do you call a group of women?

Brian Dettmer’s TED talk: old books reborn as intricate art

“The mind of an adult begins in the imagination of a child” - Kwame Alexander’s author note in the New York Times Book Review

Gene Luen Yang’s “Glare of Disdain”

Wisdom from M.T. Anderson

SCBWI Austin celebrates their 20th anniversary with tips, advice, and inspiration

John Parra tells us about his Golden Kite-Award winning illustrations for “Marvelous Cornelius: Hurricane Katrina and the Spirit of New Orleans”

Margarita Engle tells us about her Golden Kite-Award winning “Enchanted Air: Two Cultures, Two Wings”

Kate Hannigan tells us about her Golden Kite-Award winning “The Detective’s Assistant”

Molly B. Burnham tells us about her Sid Fleischman Award-winning “Teddy Mars: Almost a World Record Breaker”

Neal Shusterman tells us about “Challenger Deep” and answers a blog reader’s question

Jessixa Bagley tells us about “Boats for Papa” and answers a blog reader’s question

Twitter Highlights of #LA16SCBWI

The ALA Awards Speech You Need To Read: David Levithan accepts the 2016 Margaret A. Edwards Award

Ways to use the color wheel

25 things you need to know about writing mysteries - a thought-provoking (and imaginary friend-killing) post by Susan Spann

Natalie Goldberg: Wisdom as “Writing Down The Bones” turns 30

The ‘Misaligned’ Picture Book - advice for authors and illustrators

A cool brainstorming tool

Stuart Horwitz’s advice on finishing your book in three drafts

Barnes and Noble’s future, and the ecosystem of publishing

Malcolm Gladwell on cultivating intellectual messiness

In the face of tragedy: Create

Author Photo Advice

Kwame Alexander has a strategy: Do you?

What to do when no one shows up to your reading - a funny and poignant piece by Matthew Norman

Scene Advice form Blake Snyder

The 2016 Crystal Kite Winners!

Did you know Beethoven loved macaroni and cheese? Kathleen Krull on writing biographies

Tips for illustrators from Rosanne Kakos-Main, courtesy of Harold Underdown

The Secret Power of the Hashtag

Writing Poetry Is…

Judy Blume on character versus plot, and her ‘security blanket’ for writing that first draft

Picture Book craft insight from Caldecott-winning Author/Illustrator Dan Santat

Got a recent review?

Author Jason Hough’s 5 Reasons to listen to audiobooks

Beverly Cleary is 100!

Hugh Howey’s empassioned argument for Amazon and self-publishing

Smashwords’ Mark Coker argues for “The Power of Free: How To Sell More E-Books”

Laurisa White Reyes’ The Storytellers wins the SCBWI Spark Award!

What I learned working at a bookstore: guest post by Mary Ann Fraser

3 tips from Fauzia Burke for marketing our books online

The 2016 Golden Kite Award, Sid Flleischman Award and Lee Bennett Hopkins Award Winners!

Title advice from kid lit author David Lubar at Cynthia Leitich Smith’s Cynsations

Highlights from Digital Book World part 1

Highlights from Digital Book World part 2

Book Event order: reading, signing, then the Q&A?

Do you know about the Author Earnings Website?

Neil Gaiman’s Writing Advice

Author and Teacher Jen Storer’s Girl and Duck blog

Picture Book advice, compiled by Elizabeth Bluemle on PW’s shelf talker

Twitter highlights of #NY17SCBWI

YA Highway - an excellent resource for writers

How does Dean Koontz build a novel?

SCBWI’s 2015 Work In Progress Grant Winners

Author Cecil Castelluci on How to Be a Great Art Ally

“A Birthday Cake for George Washington” controversy

Karen Coombs wins this year’s Jane Yolen Mid-List Author Grant

Sally Wolf also wins this year’s Jane Yolen Mid-List Author Grant

Isabel Allende: Tales of Passion

Heather Alexander explains everything you need to know about illustration notes in a picture book manuscript

Inventing Langauge - some inspiration and guidance

Inspiration from the world of design

When what you write is “emotionally expensive”

Can a children’s book change the world? Linda Sue Park’s amazing TED talk

“The Year of the Rat” - 2015 Crystal Kite Interview with Clare Furniss

“All Four Stars” - the 2015 Crystal Kite Interview with Tara Dairman

“Bombs over Bikini” - the 2015 Crystal Kite Interview with Connie Goldsmith

“Pandemic” - the 2015 Crystal Kite Interview with Yvonne Ventresca

“I Am Cow, Hear Me Moo!” - the 2015 Crystal Kite Interview with Jill Esbaum

“Petu Pumpkin: Tooth Troubles” - the 2015 Crystal Kite Interview with Arundhati Venkatesh

“Abby Spencer Goes To Bollywood” - the 2015 Crystal Kite Interview with Varsha Bajaj

“Faking Normal” - the 2015 Crystal Kite Interview with Courtney Stevens

The Wall Street Journal writes about Debut Novel advances for over a million dollars

Science Fiction and Fantasy world-building: Timeline adds crucial details - a guest post by children’s book author and writing teacher Darcy Pattison

The Success of Perseverance: A Guest Post by Rori Shay

Great advice for authors about social media (by Hannah Ehrlich, director of marketing and publicity at Lee and Low Books)

What I learned from writing 52 picture books in one year - a guest post on success by David McMullin

4. Current Inspiration

“Be kind to everybody, make art and fight the power.”

Lee Wind, M.Ed.
Author of the upcoming middle grade nonfiction book, The Queer History Project: No Way, They Were Gay? (Beyond Words/Simon & Schuster 2017)
2015 SCBWI Member of The Year

Founding Blogger of the Award-Winning "I'm Here. I'm Queer. What the Hell do I Read?" at http://www.leewind.org
Official Blogger for SCBWI: THE BLOG at http://scbwi.blogspot.com/ and Captain of SCBWI Team Blog

Sign up for the Lee Wind Newsletter at http://tinyurl.com/957bocl