March meeting: JS editors & collaborative editing?

Sam Foster

Mar 2, 2011, 5:45:51 AM3/2/11
to leedsjs
I thought we could look at the current crop of editors, IDEs and
especially the emerging collaborative editing tools like Cloud9IDE.
I have great hopes for this kind of thing for code review, (remote)
paired programming as well as all the general advantages of cloud
based services.

Cloud9IDE (when its up - they seem to be having server issues right
now) will do free accounts for open source stuff. Maybe we could start
working on a game? Let me know what is of interest - I'll let it cook
a bit before blogging the topic.

Abe

Mar 5, 2011, 3:11:46 PM3/5/11
to leedsjs
Sounds good.

Remote paired programming is an interesting idea.

I used to swear by Aptana but currently using either vim or Notepad++.

It'd be good to start a group project. I always wanted to make a
simple web app to help learn/teach foreign languages. Maybe thats a
bit educational to be made into a fun game though.

Giles

Mar 11, 2011, 10:10:13 AM3/11/11
to leedsjs
After a few hours taking it for a test drive, Komodo Edit is proving
to be a capable editor and adding the kojslint plugin is very easy
(just like adding a Firefox plugin) and works straight away.

Unlike Notepad++ (my previous editor), Komodo is also spotting simple
mistakes in JavaScript code and underlining them e.g. missing closing
braces or illegal/unexpected characters. Its code folding is smarter
than Notepad++ - instead of guessing which "folding level" you're at,
just ask it to fold or unfold recursively from the cursor.

One feature lacking in Komodo which is deceptively simple yet
tremendously useful in Notepad++ is the ability to highlight all
occurrences of a word by double clicking on it. Komodo has a macro you
can download called "Find Word under Cursor" that does the same job
but requires you hold down Alt + Click to activate it. That's fine,
except that holding down Alt is Komodo's way of starting a column
edit, and the two don't get on nicely. If you edit the macro and
replace the $self.apply function with the code below you'll move this
feature to a click of the middle mouse button (no modifier keys
necessary). So now just highlight a word and then middle click, the
macro will highlight all instances of the word.

$self.apply = function(view) {

var fn = function(e) {

if (e.which === 2 &&
! (e.altKey || e.ctrlKey || e.metaKey || e.shiftKey) &&
! (view.scimoz._startDragDrop || view.scimoz._inDragDrop)) {

e.stopPropagation();
e.preventDefault();

$self.jumpToSearch(view);
}
};

view.addEventListener('mouseup', fn, false);

$self.events[view.uid] = fn;
};

Sam Foster

Mar 14, 2011, 5:00:08 PM3/14/11
to leedsjs
Yeah I ended up recommending Komodo for this team I consulted with,
its really under-hyped I think.
I might try working it into my dev with your macro there, it'll be
interesting to see how it stacks up against Textmate.