Group project

Sam Foster

Oct 14, 2011, 9:13:39 AM10/14/11
to leedsjs
A few of us have been kicking around ideas for a group project. And I
think November's meetup is tentatively sketched in as a hands-on hack
evening to work on this project. Also, I've been wanting to gather the
leedsjs community around one medium or another so there's a reliable
channel to reach everyone.

So, lets hash it out here. Here's what I have heard so far:

* Something like (or possibly forked from) the brighton group's
http://jungle.asyncjs.com - which is a simple game-loop kind of
framework populated by the creations of the group members. That's just
an idea, we can depart from it entirely or not.

* It's going to be game-ish. We're at play here so fun > utility. It
will likely end up open-sourced on github which gives us a effective
platform for collaboration; now might be a good time to grab a github
account if you don't have one.

* We can team up and general mix it up - this isn't a coding
competition just a way to learn together.

* We don't expect to start and finish in 2 hours. We'll try and get
some of the framework in place for the day, and expect to hack on it
and any contributions that evening and in the weeks following.

Your thoughts?
/Sam

Jimmy Forrester-Fellowes

Oct 20, 2011, 6:10:38 PM10/20/11
to lee...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good Sam,

Look forward to next meet-up.

Could possibly do something like warioware. A game which is essentially a bunch of micro-games, each level has a simply objective and takes 5-10 seconds to play. Levels are stacked back to back so gameplay is quite frantic. We could all create a level or two. We'd need to flesh out the framework though so we could just hook in to existing graphics / sound libraries.

Also I like the idea of doing something like the brighton project, could fork it - how could we improve it? Could we add an element of gameplay to it?

I also really like the idea of doing something node.js based - just as I've not yet played with it.

just some ideas to throw in to the pot!

Sam Foster

Oct 27, 2011, 7:02:55 AM10/27/11
to leedsjs
I like the idea of the warioware thing, but I'm a bit worried that it
leaves the scope of what people need to do a bit broad - even if its
only a 10 second level, you still need to implement quite a lot if we
take on the variety of warioware. If we can narrow it down a bit more
and say its levels in a platformer, or rooms in a dungeon tromp,
that'd define the parameters a bit more. We could provide the walls,
doors and a basic monster + AI maybe and take it from there?

Should I start a repo? We need to throw it open for collaboration I
think as soon as the basic architecture is in place.

/Sam

On Oct 20, 11:10 pm, Jimmy Forrester-Fellowes <jimm...@gmail.com>