Cards Against Humanity

Leeds Meeples

Jan 18, 2015, 4:11:02 PM1/18/15
to leeds-...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone

We've just heard about something that happened a while ago when some people were playing Cards Against Humanity at Meeples. There was transphobia (in the form of people making jokes about trans people, finding the concept of being trans a joke in itself etc). Obviously this is unacceptable and massively disappointing and while we realise that CAH can be played without being inherently transphobic, at this point it's much easier to ban the game outright at Meeples.

From today, Cards Against Humanity isn't to be played at Meeples any more. Do not bring it to any Meeples event.

I'd like to remind everyone that we organisers want to hear about any incidences of transphobia, homophobia, sexism, racism etc if they happen so we can make sure it doesn't happen again. If you're comfortable to, please feel free to challenge them yourself, but if not, please tell an organiser so we can challenge them. You can report things either in person, through Twitter @leedsmeeples, to leedsm...@gmail.com, or anonymously here: http://www.leedsmeeples.org.uk/contact-us/contact-details. We've updated our behaviour guide and you can read it at the website: http://www.leedsmeeples.org.uk/what-to-expect/a-guide-to-behaviour-at-meeples.

Laura and Dave (Leeds Meeples)

Tom Pickard

Jan 19, 2015, 4:23:11 AM1/19/15
to leeds-...@googlegroups.com
That full stop has snuck into the link at the end, there :)

Disappointing to hear about this, but good to see it being addressed - when I was checking the group out initially, the presence of an explicit safe space policy was a big part of the draw for me; not only does it (hopefully) make it a better time for people who are sometimes excluded from geek social circles but I think a codification of "don't be a dick" makes for an improved experience for those of us with more privilege too.

Also there are plenty of more creative games in the same space as CAH - if more people are playing Snake Oil or Funemployed then the world can only be a better place :)