Hackspace Fire Safety Update

Leeds Hackspace Directors

Jan 23, 2023, 11:20:11 AM1/23/23
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com

Dear All,

Over the next few weeks I will be taking a lead on reviewing and updating our fire safety measures in the hackspace. This started with the fire drill during last Tuesday’s open evening.

Thank you to everyone who was there and took part. You all escaped quickly and sensibly and we apologise for any inconvenience caused. Fire drills form an important part of fire safety management, our responsibilities as director and - more importantly- help to make the hackspace safer for you all. It has helped us to review our fire safety procedures.

 Please note that future fire drills will not necessarily be announced in advance but we will continue to try to minimise the inconvenience on you all.

Some members now or in the future may need a personal emergency evacuation plan (PEEP). If you feel you may be in need of such a plan or are inviting someone down who may need such a plan, please complete this PEEP form A director will then be in contact to discuss your responses. Individual directors can also be approached directly.

To help improve the safety of the escape routes the back corridor wall is being cleared. If you have any materials you are storing there and cannot remove them yourself promptly,  please contact the directors asap.

Fire extinguishers need to be stored in set locations around the space and not used as door stops etc. We are in the process of reinstalling hooks for all the extinguishers to be stored on which will be completed by the end of the month. Please ensure that the fire extinguishers are stored on their hooks and are clearly accessible and not blocked in. If you notice this is not the case then please fix any issues immediately, if this isn’t possible then please contact the directors so we can resolve.

Any updates to our fire safety procedures will be announced on the mailing list and the slack channel.

As with any other aspect of the hackspace - If you have thoughts, concerns, difficulties or wish to help with any part of fire safety measures in the hackspace, such as becoming a fire warden for open evenings, please contact the directors.

While I am the primary point of contact for fires safety issues in the hackspace, Fligg and Mark can also be approached.

Thank you

Joe

Leeds Hackspace Director