Large workshop tools update: help wanted

J C

Apr 18, 2021, 3:09:40 AM4/18/21
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Hope you are all well.

With being low risk COVID wise and being in the area anyway, Stephen and I have been helping sort out the workshop in the hackspace for whenever we are allowed to open again. Our main aim to date has been getting the metal lathe, wood lathe and large bandsaw up and running to be available from day one.

Progress is going well, the lathe has its new motor mounted and has been running, though Stephen seems to be doing even more/ better wiring on it.

The large band-saw has had its bearings cleaned/ replaced along with the rubber/ belt components. It still needs a more accessible emergency stop putting in place but other than that Im hoping to finish setup and test it one evening this week or on Saturday. Fingers crossed it will be good to go from there.

Dragon Nic left a list of to do/ to buy for the big wood lathe that Im working through but only just started.

How to help?

Before the tools are allowed to be used we will need risk assessments and induction checklists for them. We have old risk assessments for the old metal lathe and the small bandsaw to help get started and could be adapted. Is there anyone who would like to take this on?

And Im sure there were some attachments fro the wood lathe- I remember a circular saw attachment? Any idea where these might be?

Thanks

Joe

Tim Pinder

Apr 18, 2021, 3:57:56 AM4/18/21
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joe

It's great to hear that the lathes and bandsaw will be useable from when the space reopens and I'd be glad to help out by working on risk assessments and induction checklists.

Just let me know where to find the old documents and I'll get started.

Best wishes

Tim

Tim Pinder

DrBwts

Apr 18, 2021, 6:24:01 AM4/18/21
to Leeds Hack Space
Great news Joe, nice one

Nic

stethe...@googlemail.com

Apr 20, 2021, 2:02:16 PM4/20/21
to Leeds Hack Space

The spare parts for the lathe are in one of cupboard in the back corridor

J C

Apr 20, 2021, 3:22:37 PM4/20/21
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tim,

Thats great thank you.

Turns out we cunningly incorporated the risk assessments into the wiki pages for the Tools. Strangely sensible of us.

Stephen, thanks ill pop in and take a look soon.

Thanks

Joe

Tim Pinder

Apr 20, 2021, 6:00:40 PM4/20/21