Paging the 3d print peeps

Molly Fletcher

May 10, 2021, 4:49:26 AM5/10/21
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
OK so I'm not entirely a noob at 3d printing: a decade or so back I built a Sells Mendel and ran it for a couple of years before getting frustrated with the fact that I was spending more time fixing it that actually printing and I just kind of stopped using it. Anyway I recently took another look and decided it was time to take another look and I've bought and built a Prusa i3 mk3s+ which compared to my old Mendel does JustWork™.
Anyway that's all fine, I've even scored a free edu license for Shapr3D which takes care of my CAD needs but what I'd like to know is is there a practical way to recycle waste plastic yet? IE is there any point me collecting the waste and keeping the PLA separate from the PETG etc? Or is it still a case of "theoretically yes but in practice you'll need to build your own filament extruder line to do it"?

Robin Whitfield

May 10, 2021, 6:16:52 AM5/10/21
to Leeds Hack Space
You're right on the money there.

There's still very little you can do with your waste plastic. Even if you want to try and make your own filament, it's much more difficult to do it with old models than it is from virgin pellets.

If you end up printing with anything genuinely biodegradable (like NonOilen) then it might be worth keeping that separate, but otherwise it's still just a case of trying to minimise waste.

Molly Fletcher

May 10, 2021, 9:02:50 AM5/10/21
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
OK thanks. If we're still at "shredder->auger bit->giant home made hot end->water bath" stage then I will as you say just try to minimise waste.