Old wiring

Charlotte Bythesea (chezz)

May 1, 2021, 6:38:20 AM5/1/21
to Leeds Hack Space

Hello!

I've inherited a 1979s b&o record player. I went to change the plug and the wire doesn't have an earth cable in it! So should I fit a whole new wire with earth in it, or just attach the other two cables inside the plug and forget about earth?

Thanks for the endless advice

Charlotte x

Sent from my Xperia on O2

timpin

May 1, 2021, 6:54:31 AM5/1/21
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Charlotte
The reason there’s no earth should be because the record player is double insulated. On the label there will be a double square symbol to show this is the case.

There’s no need to fit a cable with an earth connection. In fact it would possibly cause all sorts of other problems.

Tim

Anzir Boodoo

May 1, 2021, 8:53:30 AM5/1/21
to matingslinkys via Leeds Hack Space
Charlotte,

Out of interest, what model is it? My Dad also has a B&O record player from the late 1970s

Charlotte Bythesea (chezz)

May 1, 2021, 9:01:58 AM5/1/21
to Leeds Hack Space, Anzir Boodoo

It's a beogram 1202 with a beomaster 901 amp and.. Some speakers :) it's very pretty, teak an that. I'm not really up for spending lots of money on it, but if we can get it going then it'd be great to have a record player.

I popped plugs on and it's working, but sounds a bit horrid. I think it might be the amp or connections to speakers. Will experiment.

Weekend fun times!

C x

Sent from my Xperia on O2

---- Anzir Boodoo wrote ----

Tim Pinder

May 1, 2021, 9:12:51 AM5/1/21
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
The service manual is here if you're interested. If you have another amp with a suitable input you might narrow down the source of distortion...

Charlotte Bythesea (chezz)

May 1, 2021, 9:33:29 AM5/1/21
to Leeds Hack Space, Tim Pinder

Thanks!! I found the user manual but not this.

Was gonna test with headphones, but turns out we don't have headphones with the right jack. Well we probably do, but we don't have a good filing system in our house, so they're not currently locatable 😂

C x

Sent from my Xperia on O2

---- Tim Pinder wrote ----

Ian Oliver

May 3, 2021, 9:35:17 AM5/3/21
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com, Charlotte Bythesea (chezz), Anzir Boodoo

The sound issue may be that some of the capacitors are old and need replacing. This isn't difficult or expensive but does need reasonably soldering skills.

Ian

Charlotte Bythesea (chezz)

May 3, 2021, 1:14:43 PM5/3/21
to Leeds Hack Space, Anzir Boodoo, Ian Oliver

That sounds encouraging. Anyone up for helping me develop my soldering skills in return for pizzas once the space is back open?

Sent from my Xperia on O2

---- Ian Oliver wrote ----

Molly Fletcher

May 4, 2021, 7:13:17 AM5/4/21
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com, Anzir Boodoo, Ian Oliver
You might want to check the stylus before investing too much time and effort into it. Unfortunately B&O of that vintage had a habit of using proprietary tone arms - I've got a Beogram 1500 of that vintage and replacement  styluses for those haven't been made for years and old stock or re-tipped ones cost way more than the sound quality the thing is capable of justifies.