Keep, sell or throw: Big led panels

J C

May 8, 2021, 10:55:22 AM5/8/21
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Hi all.

With Danger moving away, what do people want to do with the big led panels?

Keep them (and do what with them)
Sell them (volunteer needed to do the selling)
Get rid of them.

Personally I can easily get rid of them this week along with the rest of the e-waste

Joe

Christopher Stanton

May 8, 2021, 12:41:56 PM5/8/21
to Leeds Hack Space
Or give it a time frame before getting rid of them, post on https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/c/hackspace-discussion/a-place-to-swaprequestbuy-things/9 to offer to another hackspace, then get rid of them if not collected?

J C

May 8, 2021, 1:54:12 PM5/8/21
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the suggestion. Have posted

DrBwts

May 9, 2021, 6:03:35 AM5/9/21
to Leeds Hack Space
How big  are they? Are they functional?

Nic

J C

May 9, 2021, 6:06:09 AM5/9/21
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
About 4ft square and 20 cm deep. 2 are functional from what I know.

DrBwts

May 9, 2021, 7:36:55 AM5/9/21
to Leeds Hack Space
Are you down there now Jo? Could you get a picture of one? Is there 4 of them? I'm all questions today

DrBwts

May 9, 2021, 8:33:09 AM5/9/21
to Leeds Hack Space
OK found some pictures. I'm interested but I'm not in Leeds at the moment. So trying to sort something out but it may fall through, will know in the next couple of days one way or another & will let you know for sure.

Nic

J C

May 9, 2021, 9:04:16 AM5/9/21
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Ok Nic, let us know, if you definitely want them then then we can likely hang on to them a little longer.

DrBwts

May 9, 2021, 9:13:22 AM5/9/21
to Leeds Hack Space
Nice one Jo will give you a definite this week.
Cheers
Nic

Rachel Anzir Stef Bloom

May 10, 2021, 9:59:31 AM5/10/21
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Hello

Can you send me a photo of them please?

I'd be happy to take them off your hands if they work okay.

Best
Rachel

J C

May 10, 2021, 10:46:24 AM5/10/21
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rachel.

Nic has claimed these and is collecting this week sorry.

Joe

Tom Hargreaves

May 14, 2021, 8:05:21 AM5/14/21
On Sun, May 09, 2021 at 11:05:57AM +0100, J C wrote:
> On Sun, 9 May 2021, 11:03 DrBwts, <drb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > How big are they? Are they functional?
> >
> About 4ft square and 20 cm deep. 2 are functional from what I know.

They're functional but not exactly plug-and-play. If you'd like to
know how to make them go let me know.

Tom.

DrBwts

May 17, 2021, 4:05:34 AM5/17/21
to Leeds Hack Space
Yes please Tom

Nic

Tom Hargreaves

May 17, 2021, 7:05:38 AM5/17/21
On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 01:05:34AM -0700, DrBwts wrote:
> Yes please Tom

OK. I don't know how much you know so I'll start terse and elaborate
on request. Also available for real-time debugging in slack (or
eventually in person; it would be good to see these up and running
again).

Connect ethernet and power. On powerup the display will wait for an
IP using DHCP and show it on screen. Telnet to that address on port
3333. Then you have some simple debugging commands available to
verify that things are working correctly.

Assuming it is, get thyself a linux machine and install gstreamer and
python2 and pygame and optionally python-gtk2.

Grab https://sphere.chronosempire.org.uk/~HEx/bigdisplay.tar.xz ,
extract and cd to bigdisplay/client. There you have some shell
scripts that take an IP and a width and height, which you should set
to 160 and 120 respectively. (These are configurable because the
intention was to run both displays from one client, but this was never
implemented.) The main script is mirror43.sh which mirrors a 4:3
portion of your own screen onto the display. It's designed for a
1366x768 laptop; adjust the crop parameters to taste.

For gamma adjustment run "python gtkgamma.py".

Firmware is in bigdisplay/fw. This is not the most recent version: it
appears to be missing modesetting including the 1-bit superbright
mode[1] as well as my assembly optimizations[2], but it's what I have.
I never did succeed in building this myself with gcc; Tom Oldbury was
using TI's proprietary toolchain for windows.

Tom's notes on the hardware itself are at
https://wiki.leedshackspace.org.uk/wiki/Projects/Big_Ass-LED_Display .

HTH.

Tom.

[1] http://photos.wf1.net/Geekery/2018-04-28%20Makerfaire%20UK/#/53
[2] Available separately at bigdisplay/asm FWIW.

Paul Millhouse-Smith

May 18, 2021, 12:43:22 PM5/18/21
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom!

If the LED panels are still needing to be re-homed I have been looking for a couple for a project so would very interested to take a look. I am based in Leeds and have a studio in Armley.

Let me know if this would be a possibility, I can view them at anytime.

Many thanks,
Paul

Mark Wainwright

May 18, 2021, 1:29:20 PM5/18/21
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul,

Sorry the led panels have already found a new home

Regards Mark

--
Kind Regards Mark

Leeds Hackspace

DrBwts

May 19, 2021, 9:26:21 AM5/19/21
to Leeds Hack Space
Thanks for the information Tom. I'm not back up North for few months so wil be a while until I can get some hands on time with the panels. As far as a Linux machine goes would it be possible to drive these from a Raspberry Pi?

Nic

Tom Hargreaves

May 20, 2021, 6:25:44 AM5/20/21
On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 06:26:21AM -0700, DrBwts wrote:
> As far as a Linux machine goes would it be possible to drive these
> from a Raspberry Pi?

Sure.

Tom Oldbury (Email #2)

Jun 8, 2021, 5:00:09 PM6/8/21
to Leeds Hack Space
Hey, I'm the guy (danger) who did a lot of hacking on these (along with Hex / Tom H) and I pretty much know them inside out.  Feel free to email me if needed for any advice.

If anyone is interested in getting these working again then I would be happy to help.

I know the chaps at Milton Keynes Hackspace have a passing interest in them too.