External Tools

Kieran Betts

May 11, 2023, 5:54:25 AM5/11/23
to Leeds Hack Space
Do we have rules for what tools can be brought into and used in the hackspace? I recently purchased a tiny lathe (about 30cm long with a motor no more powerful than a drill, link at the bottom) largely to see whether it actually works. I'm confident that it poses less of a risk to myself and others than many of the tools in the workshop which don't require an induction, and being my tool it doesn't matter if I break it (these are the two cited reasons to require inductions for tools). It did start me wondering what can or can't be brought in though.

J C

May 11, 2023, 5:58:16 AM5/11/23
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
No specific rule busy as it's a tool we don't already have then sending a completed risk assessment to the directors on advance should probably be the rule.

Joe

On Thu, 11 May 2023, 10:54 Kieran Betts, <kieran...@gmail.com> wrote:
Do we have rules for what tools can be brought into and used in the hackspace? I recently purchased a tiny lathe (about 30cm long with a motor no more powerful than a drill, link at the bottom) largely to see whether it actually works. I'm confident that it poses less of a risk to myself and others than many of the tools in the workshop which don't require an induction, and being my tool it doesn't matter if I break it (these are the two cited reasons to require inductions for tools). It did start me wondering what can or can't be brought in though.

Kieran Betts

May 11, 2023, 6:00:59 AM5/11/23
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Do we have a template for risk assessments?

Kieran

Kieran Betts

May 11, 2023, 6:01:38 AM5/11/23
to Leeds Hack Space
In fact, is the risk assessment for the lathe available? That seems like a good starting point

Kieran Betts

May 11, 2023, 6:03:51 AM5/11/23
to Leeds Hack Space
Found it. I'll stop spamming eveyone with messages now