Early stage idea using Open Data + Leeds Creative Timebank

Sue Ball

Apr 8, 2015, 6:37:08 AM4/8/15
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sam, Matt and Hackspace,

I popped over last night and Sam showed me around (thanks Sam - most interesting - good space!!).

I am working on a personal Open Data project with Edafe Onerhime, who's based at the ODI, using council data on business rates and national government sources to map and make evident all empty commercial land and property in Leeds South Bank area. We are then using twitter geo-location to tag images to each unit or land. We are planning to run a couple of open public walks, inviting people to the South Bank area, to co-produce its regeneration by exploring the underutilisation of space and property, and to exchange ideas for its future occupation and usage (there's significant landbanking by big companies in this area). In or initial research, there's a wide variety of spaces that have been empty for over 2 years. This project also has input from a couple of academics, Leeds Sustainable Development Group and a planner within the council.  Just an idea to pass before Hackspace people - if there anyone interested in meeting to think about developing a physical or digital interface for public use as activist tool to create an alert, or provides data, to property/land standing empty in any vicinity and powered by open data sources? We are really open to what that interface can be and look or sound like; and as for Odafe and me, that this becomes early stage research that arises from your own personal skills and interests.

I also mentioned to Sam that there is a Call for new members for the Leeds Creative Timebank http://leedscreativetimebank.org.uk/ with our next induction/meet-up on Tuesday 21st April at 6.30-8.30pm at Wharf Chambers. There's over 120 members within the timebank now exchanging skills and knowledge across the network of individuals all valued in hour credits. Check out http://leedscreativetimebank.org.uk/skills-list/ for what people can offer. Does anyone from Hackspace want to join and bring your technological skills and knowledge into the network? would be excellent if so. If you want more info or are interested, can you let me know asap on 07799 765578 or s...@sueball.co.uk. (We also done a deal with Wharf Chambers where an organisation joins the timebank - we could think about this for Leed Hackspace?? - someone would still have to do the Induction though)

Thanks again and good to have made contact - Sue Ball