Ceramic 3D Print Workshop

Matt Collins

Aug 2, 2022, 7:16:34 AM8/2/22
to Leeds Hack Space
Hi Leeds Hackspace :)

We are getting a ceramic 3D printer (WASP 40100) and will be running a free workshop 24th of August around setting up and using the machine. Jonathan Keep is coming to run the workshop and has been key proponent in developing clay 3D printing.

Here are the details for the workshop and how to apply:

Let me know any questions!

Ta

Daniel Robinson

Aug 3, 2022, 7:36:34 AM8/3/22
to Leeds Hack Space
That looks incredibly cool.

Is there any plan for how to fire the printed objects?

Matt Collins

Aug 3, 2022, 7:38:16 AM8/3/22
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Yep! We have kilns :)

Jo Woffinden

Aug 3, 2022, 12:49:25 PM8/3/22
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Yes, looks like a great workshop!  The Wasp can also print concrete..

Just some kiln info here as I know a few people have been wondering if the glass kiln at Hackspace can be used for ceramics.
Though the kiln at Hackspace is glass kiln it may be possible to bisque fire (fire to 1000 degrees C) ceramics in it, as the top temperature is 2000 fahrenheit.
I think this info here is the kiln at Hackspace / Paragon Fusion kiln:

The top temperature of the glass kiln is much lower than normal ceramic kilns, but as long as the glass kiln can reach 1000 degrees C it may be possible to bisque fire ceramics in there.  Otherwise, only pre high- fired ceramics with low temperature firing enamels or decals can be fired in there.

The temperature controller on the glass kiln has lots of segments and ramps available for complete control of the rate of heating and cooling needed for glass work and also able to set soak periods holding it at set temperatures for different amounts of time.  This level of control is not needed for firing ceramics so usually temperature programmers for ceramics kilns are much more straightforward, with less segments available and no control over cooling.
A glass kiln heats up from the top (as the elements are installed in the lid for flat glass work) whereas in normal ceramic kilns the heating elements are installed in the walls of the kiln completely surrounding the ceramics for even and efficient heat work.  So using a glass kiln for ceramics is not as efficient as using a ceramic kiln and the temperature difference if different parts of the kiln because of the different way it is heated might lead to differences in fired pieces of ceramics.

Hope this is helpful to anyone with ceramic/glass kiln questions

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Leeds Hack Space" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/leeds-hack-space/CAHA%2B35bjE60wZb%3DV%3DCqaTT8eNrHEzJMbrQA86XL1rhg7sTu1yw%40mail.gmail.com.

Matt Collins

Aug 3, 2022, 12:57:05 PM8/3/22
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
At ESA we have a Nabertherm similar to these:

If you wanted anything firing that can be arranged, we charge by the kwhr, usualy £15ish for a firing, would definitely be worth getting a number of pieces together and filling the kiln though.

I think it has upto 5 ramps, 1300c max

Jo Woffinden

Aug 3, 2022, 12:59:59 PM8/3/22
to Leeds Hack Space