Protest or legal action or just inform our MP?

Al Fa

May 14, 2024, 4:40:11 PMMay 14
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com

Hi All,

I bought a laptop battery via Amazon from a UK company advertised in the title with one year warranty.

It was a surprise for me I got the battery without any paper just with a card saying:

"Active your warranty

Visit

www.lalala.info

to know more."

When I opened the webpage I got this:

"Esbay

WARRANTY EXTENSION, FREE RETURN SHIPPING & More

JOIN THE FREE VIP CLUB
Welcome to our VIP Club
Our VIP benefits:
RECEIVE OUR LATEST UPDATES.
Hassle-Free Warranty

Lifetime Customer Support"

And I was shocked to see the four condition of the registration:

Name, Email, Gender, Country

I am thinking to write a letter to our MP as I have many problem with this but I am not British so I would like to ask your help what to write and how.

Thank you

Al

Giles

May 14, 2024, 6:13:27 PMMay 14
to Leeds Hack Space
Hi Al, try returning it to Amazon, choose "inaccurate website description" as it was described as having a warranty but you have to jump through hoops to get it which includes handing over information that you're not comfortable providing, which was not apparent at the time of purchase.

Marcia Clarke

May 15, 2024, 5:14:53 AMMay 15
to Leeds Hack Space
These excuses for "data collection" are getting out of hand!

Al Fa

May 15, 2024, 8:03:34 AMMay 15
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
You did not get my points:

1. I do not think any company has right to collect deeply personal
information for warranty.

2. On the top of that if you read the website says gender means male or
female only.

3. Thirdly, this websites has no information who belongs to.

4. The website uses ".info" so maybe it is out of British law?

5. this website is definitely not belong to that company I bought the
battery from so ...

etc. etc.

In the EU this case is very simple, they broke the laws:

- humiliate genders

- misleading customers

- misusing personal information

- using fake websites

- forcing customers to give their personal data

- do not take any responsibility for anything

- hiding against any laws

etc.

So, the question is the same what to do?

al