Craft Area - What's wanted

Andy51055

Jul 31, 2021, 2:50:35 AM7/31/21
to Leeds Hack Space
I've been asked to clean up/sort out/organise the craft area to encourage more use of it. The problem is that I won't be using it much if at all, so it would be really useful to know what those who would like to use it would like to have there.
So if anyone who wants to use the craft area once we're back at the space could post here just to register their interest we can then throw ideas in here and maybe organise a meeting (virtual or otherwise) to finalise plans.

There are a few things that will happen anyway:
the loom is going to go, so that will free up a load of space. We now have an overlocker and a couple of industrial sewing machines, so it would make sense to keep enough space for people to be able to work on largish projects with those;
the laser cutter now has a solid base and takes up a slightly different space. There is a possibility that we are getting a second laser cutter, so space will have to be found for that;
there was talk of moving the server or at least shrinking its cabinet. I'm not sure what's happening there.

All ideas welcome - the time has come to maximise the craft area's use, rather than keeping it as a backwater and overflow for the workshop.

Christopher Stanton

Jul 31, 2021, 9:59:19 AM7/31/21
to Leeds Hack Space
Really good, clear, bright white lighting.
A big,flat,solid table to sit and work at. Space permitting, even if it temporarily folded out/extended.
A clear list of what we have, where it is, and what spare/replacement parts for consumables and where to get them.

Anzir Boodoo

Aug 1, 2021, 9:16:10 AM8/1/21
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Stanto & Andy,

What Stanto said, plus, as well as the table, more clear desk space to work on (I feel it’s kind of ended up being encroached on for other things)

I had intended to make a thread rack so they could be sorted by colour/type, then never got round to it (basically just a board with a grid short lengths of dowelling to put the spools on). I had been pointed out that that would get dusty, so perhaps something that could be covered or fit into a drawer (what’s happened/happening to the drawers? They could maybe do with dividers at least to stop stuff moving around too much)

Andy51055

Aug 1, 2021, 10:41:04 AM8/1/21
to Leeds Hack Space
There is a slight problem with making a comprehensive list - does anyone know what all the stuff on the grey shelves opposite the work bench is? If so, a list would be wonderful.

Christopher Stanton

Aug 1, 2021, 11:15:16 AM8/1/21
to Leeds Hack Space
I was thinking more of tools and equipment rather than resources.

J C

Aug 1, 2021, 1:01:20 PM8/1/21
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
I'll try sort through the grey shelves over the next week. Have a clear out and tidy

Joe

Andy51055

Aug 1, 2021, 3:03:45 PM8/1/21
to Leeds Hack Space
The shelves are mostly filled with tools and equipment - for things like jewellery, metalwork, book-binding, weaving and knitting. None of which I know anything about. Hopefully Joe knows a lot more than me.

Chazzy Chezz

Aug 19, 2021, 3:17:23 PM8/19/21
to Andy51055
I just realised I've not been getting HS emails, so I'm a bit late to the party here, but things that are always useful are..
- decent scissors
- guillotine
- laminator
- craft knives at cutting mats
- glue gun
- definitely a large, clean, flat table space
-  machine for making grommits
- heat gun
- iron
- screen printing kit would be very fun
- a sink that isn't used for food to wash stuff in
- one of those things with marbles in to hang wet paintings/textiles
- nice art supplies
- clean metal ruler
- drawing board
- plenty of sockets
- knitting machine that works

I could do this all day :D

C x

Andy51055

Aug 20, 2021, 5:12:57 AM8/20/21
to Leeds Hack Space
Welcome back. We're actually doing quite well at that list:

- decent scissors - got
- guillotine - got
- laminator
- craft knives and cutting mats - got
- glue gun - got
- definitely a large, clean, flat table space - got
-  machine for making grommits - no idea that these even existed
- heat gun - had, not sure if we still do though
- iron - got
- screen printing kit would be very fun - been saying this for a few years now but there hasn't been quite enough interest for it to take off
- a sink that isn't used for food to wash stuff in - and bigger than the hand-wash basins in the toilets. Sadly not really an option
- one of those things with marbles in to hang wet paintings/textiles - not sure what this is
- nice art supplies - there are several reasons we can't have nice things... We used to have a collection of nice paintbrushes, but everyone who used them left them dirty so they could never be used again. That sort of thing.
- clean metal ruler - got
- drawing board - we had one but it was never used and they take up a lot of space
- plenty of sockets - got
- knitting machine that works - I'm not sure on the status of the knitting machine but I think it's useable manually, just not currently programmable