Plastic for lathe milling?

Scott Mc Laughlin

Jun 26, 2021, 9:56:01 AM6/26/21
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

Two questions here. I need to make some experimental clarinet parts (the barrel). I need to drill a bunch of tubes about 50mm long with a bore about 12–20mm (I’ll make several with different bore sizes).

  • Do we have a lathe that can mill plastic at this size?
  • Any suggestions for a suitable hard plastic for milling and where I might get it?
    • Cheap clarinets are made from ebonite but that’s hard to come by.

Best,

Scott

J C

Jun 26, 2021, 11:05:44 AM6/26/21
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com, mug...@gmail.com
Hi Scott,

We do indeed have a suitable lathe, I've just been testing it out with pleasing results.

You Are looking for delrin for your plastic

Hackspace not properly open yet though. I'll let a director comment on that part

Joe

Dylan Schink

Jun 26, 2021, 11:08:54 AM6/26/21
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Delrin machines very well, but it's not immune to melting and ruining your surface finish. Keep your tools and work cool, break chips often, and use a light lubricant, and keep tools wicked sharp (this is far more important for good results on plastic than metal).

Dylan Schink

Jun 26, 2021, 11:14:04 AM6/26/21
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
It's also probably worth mentioning that boring out delrin (or any plastic) with a twist drill needs some special considerations. Plastics can't carry heat away from the cut surface well, and expands less metal when it gets hot, so deep bores have a really bad tendency to bind up around the drill bit, giving a terrible, melted surface internally (or simply destroying the part).

Again, the solution is to cut a little bit at a time, take slightly aggressive cuts (half a millimetre cut depth is reasonable), and let the drill bit cool fully before going in for the next plunge. I've heard soapy water as a lubricant is great for delrin boring, but I've not personally used this method myself.

13apcg

Dylan Schink

Jun 26, 2021, 11:15:43 AM6/26/21
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Most of these problems can be avoided with a boring bar, but of course you need to create a pilot hole for clearance before you can use one.

13apf5

Scott Mc Laughlin

Jun 26, 2021, 11:41:52 AM6/26/21
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com

Great, thanks everyone! I’ll order some Delrin and wait for the hackspace to re-open.

Best,

Scott