Nylon sinterer?

Scott Mc Laughlin

Mar 15, 2021, 4:28:39 AM3/15/21
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com

Hi

Do we have a 3D printer that does nylon sintering? It’s for a project that I want to replicate, documented here - https://www.hackster.io/touchmysound/motorizing-a-b-clarinet-195e09

I’m not in any rush to do the printing so it can wait till post-lockdown, I’m just checking we have the equipment.

Best,

scott

Mark Wainwright

Mar 15, 2021, 6:04:57 AM3/15/21
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com
Hi Scott

That sounds like a very interesting project.

The hackspace has a few 3d printers but they are all FFF/FDM printers. Unfortunately SLS printers are quite expensive in comparison.

The Printers we have will allow you to prototype using PLA and then print if you wished in PET-G which is stronger and has a higher temperature resistance to PLA. Whether this is high enough or not????

Unfortunately some of the other materials our printers can print that have higher heat tolerances release gases that require filtering which we don’t currently have.

The other option would be to prototype and once you happy are with the design use a 3d printing service to print in one of these materials or using an SLS machine

Stay safe and hopefully see at the space once it’s able to reopen

Mark

Kind Regards Mark

Leeds Hackspace

Scott Mc Laughlin

Mar 15, 2021, 6:58:25 AM3/15/21
to leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Mark, that’s all great advice. Since I’m using the same clarinet model as the original maker I shouldn’t need to prototype (famous last words) so I’ll see if I can find a printing service that will do what I need.

Stay safe, and hopefully meet you all properly back in the space someday!

Best,

Scott

Serena Boodoo

Jun 7, 2021, 11:23:52 AM6/7/21