income v expenses by month

Juan

Oct 19, 2021, 2:17:37 PM10/19/21
to Ledger
I would like to see my income versus expenses by month. Just the total of Expenses and the total of Income by month for this year.

Here are the command I have:

ledger -M --period-sort "(amount)" reg ^Expenses ^Income --invert -p "this year"

and

ledger -M --period-sort "(amount)" bal ^Expenses ^Income --invert -p "this year"

Here is what happened:

I was given a list of all expense and income accounts with totals.
I was give a total of all categories not separated by month just a list of all totals from all categories.

Can someone help me?

What I would like to see is something like this:

1/2021 Income: $total Expenses: $total
2/2021 Income: $total Expenses: $total
3/2021 Income: $total Expenses: $total
etc,
etc,

Is this possible? Can someone help me?

Jasel17212

Oct 19, 2021, 9:25:29 PM10/19/21
to Ledger
I'm unaware of a way to produce the exact report that you're looking for, but the following will produce a monthly total (income + expenses) and a running annual total that is quite helpful.

ledger reg ^inc ^exp -p 2021 --monthly --empty --collapse --no-revalued

The other option is to run the same report twice, each time with a slight tweak. The first version of the report will show your income by month, and the second your expenses by month.

ledger reg ^inc -p 2021 --monthly --empty --collapse --no-revalued
ledger reg ^exp -p 2021 --monthly --empty --collapse --no-revalued

Hope that helps.

Juan

Oct 20, 2021, 2:40:37 PM10/20/21
to Ledger
This helps so much. Thank you very much for your time in answering my question! It's perfect!