how to split a bank account in several sub accounts.

Uwe Brauer

Jan 9, 2024, 12:42:00 PMJan 9
to ledge...@googlegroups.com

Hi

I use ledger occasionally and usually within emacs (and org mode for example).

So I can write down simple expenses, like

#+begin_src ledger
2010/07/23 ChristmasTree
expenses:Laurel:ChristmasTree 40.00
income:Laurel:Card
2010/07/24 Jacket
expenses:Hardy:Jacket 150.00
income:Hardy:Card
2010/07/24 Schuhe
expenses:Hardy:Shoes 20
income:Hardy:Card
2010/07/23 Hardy
expenses:Laurel:Hardy 130
income:Laurel:Card
#+end_src

Now I would like to achieve something, that I thought is very simple:

I start with a bank account, containing say 1000 dollars, within the
same bank I want to open two more accounts and distribute say 200 on the
main count and 400 in the other two sub accounts.
But I can't come with a solution. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance

Regards

Uwe Brauer

--
I strongly condemn Hamas heinous despicable pogroms/atrocities on Israel
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against Ukraine.

psionl0

Jan 11, 2024, 2:09:58 AMJan 11
to Ledger
Here is one way:

2024/01/10 * <name of bank>
  Assets:Cash                 -$1,000.00
  Assets:Bank:Main Account     $1,000.00

2024/01/10 * <name of bank>
  Assets:Bank:Main Account    -$400.00
  Assets:Bank:Sub Account 1    $400.00

2024/01/10 * <name of bank>
  Assets:Bank:Main Account    -$400.00
  Assets:Bank:Sub Account 2    $400.00

Incidentally the transactions you listed above are incorrect. The various cards you are using are ASSETS (presumably pre-loaded with money) and should not be classified as "Income".