Investments, prices and IRR

Dániel Fancsali

Feb 13, 2021, 7:45:42 AMFeb 13
to Ledger
Good morning ladies and gents,

I already wrapped my head around how to track day-to-day finances with ledger.

So, the next logical step is to capture things like investments and such.

I can import the transactions from the statements, no problem. Then I reckon I'll record the prices in the pricedb for something like every statement day, so I can have reasonably accurate reports.

Then there's one big question: how do I find metrics beyond the nominal value difference? For a start I'd be keen to find the weighted annual returns, aka IRR.

Anyone else has been there? ;)

Regads,
Daniel

o1bigtenor

Feb 13, 2021, 10:46:02 AMFeb 13
to Ledger
Not by any means an expert on the intricacies of 'ledger' just have
been using it for some time now.
I'm guessing (please note!) that what could work here is a taylored
request with a date early and the same request with a date later.
You would then use other tools to come up with what the weighted
annual return is for that period.
Ledger will give you the data but to develop a report - - - - I would
think that transferring the raw data from 'ledger' to another tool,
likely a spreadsheet, should work.
(What do I know - - - - i'm no investment analysis expert!!)

HTH