Ledger Convert should add an amount to the stated account, not the guessed account

J J

Apr 15, 2022, 6:41:37 PM4/15/22
to Ledger
All,
I am seeking feedback on a proposed change on Github:

In a nutshell, when Ledger Convert processes a CSV it inputs an amount on the guessed account (often, the Expense) and elides the amount for the given account attached to the CSV (often, a bank account).  This works, but makes splitting transactions among other expenses accounts tedious.  The user must rework the provided amounts.

The proposed change would instead have Ledger provide the amount on the given account and elide the expense side.  This way, a user can easily add new expense lines to make a split.

2022/02/01* Blublub
    Expenses:Groceries                   100,00
    Accounts:Cache

Becomes

2022/02/01* Blublub
    Expenses:Groceries
    Accounts:Cache                      -100,00

Project contributors would like the users' opinions before making a change like this. Please provide feedback, if you have any.

Thanks!

John Wiegley

Apr 16, 2022, 12:39:39 AM4/16/22
to J J, Ledger

JJ> The proposed change would instead have Ledger provide the amount on the
JJ> given account and elide the expense side. This way, a user can easily add
JJ> new expense lines to make a split.

Sounds like a great feature request to me!

John