Re: rules about account names with spaces

Martin Michlmayr

Oct 16, 2023, 7:34:01 PM10/16/23
to ledge...@googlegroups.com
* lipp f <flip...@gmail.com> [2023-10-16 10:55]:
> 2003-08-31 TD Canadian Money Market
> TD Group RRSP CAD -23,284.00
> "SDRRSP - TD:TD Canadian Money Market" "TDB164" 2,328.40000 @@ CAD
> 23,284.00
>
> This seems to be working but quotes are part of the account name and

Never quote account names.

> There is another post here saying that the only rule is that two
> spaces are not allowed because two spaces separate account name from
> amount.

Correct. Two spaces or a tab. But one space between characters is
fine in account names. No need to quote.

> commodity name as well, which I don't think is correct.

The rule for commodities is here:
https://ledger-cli.org/doc/ledger3.html#Naming-Commodities

"Commodity names can have any character, including white-space.
However, if you include white-space or numeric characters, the
commodity name must be enclosed in double quotes ‘"’:"

> commodity name as well, which I don't think is correct.

Yes, the quotes become part of the name of a quoted commodity.
That's in fact correct, even if a bit unintuitive.

I opened a bug about this years ago:
https://github.com/ledger/ledger/issues/1473

--
Martin Michlmayr
https://www.cyrius.com/

Eric

Oct 19, 2023, 9:29:05 AM10/19/23
to ledge...@googlegroups.com
I am doing the accounts for a small club/association. Each year is already a separate ledger file.

People often pay next year's membership subscriptions this year, so how should I record this in ledger this year (when they paid and we have the money) and next year (when it is a current membership)?

Details of who paid and what kind of membership it is should be easily reportable for memberships valid in a single year from just that year's file.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Eric

Brandon Olivares

Oct 19, 2023, 9:42:30 AM10/19/23
to ledge...@googlegroups.com
Technically, if they pay it this year, it’s a liability since it’s not your money yet. So record it as a liability like Deferred Revenues, then credit the proper income account next year.

If you wanted to do it really correct, credit 1/12 of the fee to the income account each month next year.