UUID-based deduplication with multiple currencies

Tobias Pfeiffer

Jul 21, 2021, 10:50:16 AM7/21/21
to ledge...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I use UUID comments in my transactions to remove duplicate transactions
in separate files, such as a cash withdrawal that appears both in my
cash.ledger file and in the bank-account.ledger file. This usually
works fine, but now I ran into an issue when multiple currencies are
involved:

---
While comparing this previously seen transaction:
> 2021-06-08 Transfer
> ; UUID: abcd1234
> Aktiva:Konto 1 375.36 EUR
> Aktiva:Konto 2 -50,000 JPY
to this later transaction:
> 2021-06-09 Transfer
> ; UUID: abcd1234
> Aktiva:Konto 1 375.36 EUR
> Aktiva:Konto 2 -50,000 JPY
Error: Transactions with the same UUID must have equivalent postings
---

The same error appears when I use the 375.36 EUR @@ 50,000 JPY
notation. I guess it has to do with automatic calculation of exchange
rates?

What can I do to make these transactions be recognized as identical?
(This is ledger 3.1.3-20190331.)

Thanks
Tobias
signature.asc

Tobias Pfeiffer

Jul 29, 2021, 4:57:15 AM7/29/21
to ledge...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I couldn't get this to work, so I decided to introduce an intermediate
account instead of UUID deduplication, something like:

> 2021-06-08 Transfer
> Verbindlichkeiten:Wise 375.36 EUR
> Aktiva:Konto 2 -50,000 JPY
and
> 2021-06-09 Transfer
> Aktiva:Konto 1 375.36 EUR
> Verbindlichkeiten:Wise

which then also allows to track the time the money has been "on the
wire".

Thanks
Tobias
signature.asc