Plans for the next release

34 views
Skip to first unread message

Rahix

unread,
Aug 4, 2021, 7:42:52 AMAug 4
to ledge...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Ledger version 3.2.1 was released on 2020-05-18 which is well over a
year ago by now. There have been a bunch of useful features and bug
fixes added to the development tree since then. What's the plan for a
new release? Is there anything still blocking it which needs to be
resolved?

Along the same lines, what do you think about adding a CHANGELOG.md or
NEWS file where new features & bug fixes since the last release are
described in a user-friendly format? If the idea is generally welcome,
I'd volunteer to start writing it for the next release :)

Cheers,
--
Rahix

Martin Michlmayr

unread,
Aug 4, 2021, 8:00:24 AMAug 4
to ledge...@googlegroups.com
* Rahix <ra...@rahix.de> [2021-08-04 13:42]:
> Ledger version 3.2.1 was released on 2020-05-18 which is well over a
> year ago by now. There have been a bunch of useful features and bug
> fixes added to the development tree since then. What's the plan for
> a new release? Is there anything still blocking it which needs to
> be resolved?

I was planning to coordinate a new release a few months ago but I've
been too busy with other things.

I use GitHub milestones to track outstanding blockers, although
at the moment none of these are real blockers (I mean, they kinda are,
but they've been there for a while so we can live with them):
https://github.com/ledger/ledger/milestones

There's (at least) one issue I wanted to investigate, though.
Namely #1952 (which incidentally involves you!). It wasn't clear to
me whether the new behaviour was a regression, but it sounds like it's
an improvement. (In any case, the docs should be updated).

> Along the same lines, what do you think about adding a CHANGELOG.md or
> NEWS file where new features & bug fixes since the last release are
> described in a user-friendly format? If the idea is generally welcome,
> I'd volunteer to start writing it for the next release :)

There's actually doc/NEWS.md. If you want to update and maybe work
on #1952, I'd definitely appreciate it.

I am not aware of any outstanding blockers. If anyone does, please
speak up now.
--
Martin Michlmayr
https://www.cyrius.com/

Martin Michlmayr

unread,
Aug 4, 2021, 8:03:26 AMAug 4
to ledge...@googlegroups.com
* Martin Michlmayr <t...@cyrius.com> [2021-08-04 20:00]:
> I use GitHub milestones to track outstanding blockers, although
> at the moment none of these are real blockers (I mean, they kinda are,
> but they've been there for a while so we can live with them):
> https://github.com/ledger/ledger/milestones

We have:

CMake warning about deprecated policy related to RPATH
https://github.com/ledger/ledger/issues/1721

If someone who understand this could comment and/or submit a patch,
that would be very welcome.

Martin Michlmayr

unread,
Aug 4, 2021, 8:15:07 AMAug 4
to ledge...@googlegroups.com
* Martin Michlmayr <t...@cyrius.com> [2021-08-04 20:00]:
> There's (at least) one issue I wanted to investigate, though.
> Namely #1952 (which incidentally involves you!). It wasn't clear to
> me whether the new behaviour was a regression, but it sounds like it's
> an improvement. (In any case, the docs should be updated).

Actually, there's also
https://github.com/ledger/ledger/issues/1020

If this is changed, imho it should be changed before 3.3.

Maybe those using --flat and --depth can comment on this ticket, but
to me it looks like the behaviour should be changed.

Rahix

unread,
Aug 4, 2021, 9:01:58 AMAug 4
to ledge...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

thank you very much for the swift response - I know the pain of OSS
maintainership, so thank you very much for keeping the project going.

On Wed, 2021-08-04 at 20:00 +0800, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Rahix <ra...@rahix.de> [2021-08-04 13:42]:
> > Ledger version 3.2.1 was released on 2020-05-18 which is well over a
> > year ago by now.  There have been a bunch of useful features and bug
> > fixes added to the development tree since then.  What's the plan for
> > a new release?  Is there anything still blocking it which needs to
> > be resolved?
>
> I was planning to coordinate a new release a few months ago but I've
> been too busy with other things.
>
> I use GitHub milestones to track outstanding blockers, although
> at the moment none of these are real blockers (I mean, they kinda are,
> but they've been there for a while so we can live with them):
> https://github.com/ledger/ledger/milestones
>
> There's (at least) one issue I wanted to investigate, though.
> Namely #1952 (which incidentally involves you!).  It wasn't clear to
> me whether the new behaviour was a regression, but it sounds like it's
> an improvement. (In any case, the docs should be updated).

True, sorry for loosing track of that. I've submitted #2046 to resolve
this.

> > Along the same lines, what do you think about adding a CHANGELOG.md or
> > NEWS file where new features & bug fixes since the last release are
> > described in a user-friendly format?  If the idea is generally welcome,
> > I'd volunteer to start writing it for the next release :)
>
> There's actually doc/NEWS.md.  If you want to update and maybe work
> on #1952, I'd definitely appreciate it.

Okay, sounds good, I'll take care of both.

> I am not aware of any outstanding blockers.  If anyone does, please
> speak up now.

[From the other mails]

> CMake warning about deprecated policy related to RPATH
> https://github.com/ledger/ledger/issues/1721

Not much familiar with CMAKE myself but maybe I can submit a patch to
fix the warning and for better or worse we will have to wait if anyone
complains about anything breaking... Unless someone with a MacOS
machine can investigate this right now.

> Actually, there's also
> https://github.com/ledger/ledger/issues/1020
>
> If this is changed, imho it should be changed before 3.3.

This behavior isn't a regression but was there even before my --depth
work (which only touches register reports). I do agree that it should
be fixed though; maybe I can carve out some time to work on it - no
promises though ^^

--
Rahix

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages