starting afresh

Albert R Pyott

Jan 27, 2023, 4:00:10 PM1/27/23
to ledge...@googlegroups.com
Hello, I started a new journal file Jan. 1 after using Ledger for 2 1/2 years. I wanted to change how I defined and treated certain expenses. Is there a best practice for how long to stick with a Ledger file? What do other users do? Thanks --Rob

o1bigtenor

Jan 27, 2023, 4:43:14 PM1/27/23
to ledge...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jan 27, 2023 at 3:00 PM Albert R Pyott <arp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, I started a new journal file Jan. 1 after using Ledger for 2 1/2 years. I wanted to change how I defined and treated certain expenses. Is there a best practice for how long to stick with a Ledger file? What do other users do? Thanks --Rob

My current file spans from 2016.01 to 2022.12 (lotsa lines).
Periodically I make sure I have a few copies in discreet locations and
then I truncate the back end.

I do lots of copy/paste so I really like have a larger backfile so
even transactions that only
happen once a year have previous iterations.

Pulling reports - - - - doesn't seem to matter how big the file is - -
- I'm only working
in one year at a time.

I'd suggest that whatever you're comfortable working with would be just fine
but at least 2 years worth (last year and this year).

I use a reference document (that keeps growing) to keep track of all of my
account numbers and what those numbers refer to. I based my numbering
system on the official GIFI codes (General Index of Financial Information
iirc) used by both Canada and the USA (slight differences between the
two so find the one you need) and I'd bet there is similar in most
jurisdictions.
So I get changes but they're usually me adding more account numbers.

HTH

HTH

Scott Carpenter

Jan 28, 2023, 12:44:39 PM1/28/23
to Ledger
I have most of my transactions in a single file, with entries from 1995-2023. It's approaching 5MB, and ledger handles it with no problems.

Albert R. Pyott

Jan 28, 2023, 6:46:53 PM1/28/23
to ledge...@googlegroups.com
Both responses a big help -- I changed my approach! Thanks.