PTA app benchmarks

40 views
Skip to first unread message

Simon Michael

unread,
Sep 27, 2026, 4:06:17 AM (5 days ago) Sep 27
to hle...@googlegroups.com, bean...@googlegroups.com, ledge...@googlegroups.com
While updating the hledger performance page, I did some testing of other apps. I think this is the first detailed multi-PTA-app performance test. Check out the results, and see if you can reproduce them!

TLDR
  • hledger 1, Beancount 2, Beancount 3 are similar in speed
  • hledger main and Tackler are faster, and similar except Tackler is ...
  • Ledger 3.4.1 is faster but ...
  • rustledger is much ...

Simon Michael

unread,
Sep 27, 2026, 6:41:10 AM (5 days ago) Sep 27
to hledger, bean...@googlegroups.com, ledge...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Sep 26, 2026, at 22:05, 'Simon Michael' via hledger wrote:
While updating the hledger performance page, I did some testing of other apps. I think this is the first detailed multi-PTA-app performance test. Check out the results, and see if you can reproduce them!

Updates:

- changed Ledger's and Tackler's balance reports to flat mode, like the other apps.
- filled in some missing results
- ranked by speed. (Who's at the top now ?)

Simon Michael

unread,
Sep 27, 2026, 4:39:14 PM (5 days ago) Sep 27
to hledger, bean...@googlegroups.com, ledge...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Sep 27, 2026, at 00:40, 'Simon Michael' via hledger wrote:
On Sat, Sep 26, 2026, at 22:05, 'Simon Michael' via hledger wrote:
While updating the hledger performance page, I did some testing of other apps. I think this is the first detailed multi-PTA-app performance test. Check out the results, and see if you can reproduce them!

John Wiegley

unread,
Sep 27, 2026, 11:53:49 PM (4 days ago) Sep 27
to ledge...@googlegroups.com, hle...@googlegroups.com, bean...@googlegroups.com
>>>>> "'MvL" == 'Simon Michael' via Ledger <ledge...@googlegroups.com> writes:

> While updating the hledger performance page, I did some testing of other
> apps. I think this is the first detailed multi-PTA-app performance test.
> Check out the results, and see if you can reproduce them!

Thanks for this report and a benchmark to compare against. I’ll get C++Ledger
fixed soon.

John

Chunhui Ouyang

unread,
Sep 29, 2026, 12:23:15 AM (3 days ago) Sep 29
to Ledger
In theory, C/C++ offers the best performance; why is that the case?

Chunhui Ouyang

unread,
Sep 29, 2026, 12:23:16 AM (3 days ago) Sep 29
to ledge...@googlegroups.com
In theory, C/C++ offers the best performance; why is that the case?

--
Chunhui Ouyang
www.qhjack.top
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages