Ac1 + Ap3 Mk II + FM1 auctions on eBay

Stephane Gormand

Feb 25, 2023, 5:10:14 AM2/25/23
to Lecson Audio

nickba...@gmail.com

Feb 25, 2023, 7:16:49 PM2/25/23
to Lecson Audio
Thanks for this. Just to note that the power amp is a  AP3, not the AP3 MK2. Check the pics in the listing.

Roger Olney

Feb 27, 2023, 4:46:54 PM2/27/23
to Lecson Audio
How can you tell that it's an AP3 rather than an AP3 MkII without seeing any internal pics?

Regards, Roger

nick banks

Feb 27, 2023, 6:06:54 PM2/27/23
to lecson...@googlegroups.com
Picture number 6 in the Ebay listing.

Roger Olney

Feb 27, 2023, 7:09:48 PM2/27/23
to Lecson Audio
I have two AP3 Mk II's - they both look identical to the pictures in the eBay listing, including picture No 6.  Mk II's were not, to the best of my knowledge, ever identified as such on their cases.

The serial Nos for mine are both numerically close to the serial No of the item being auctioned - leading me to believe there is a reasonable chance that the eBay item is a Mk II.

The yellow lettering on the top plate is a good sign too.  Early power amps had red lettering.

The best way to identify a Mk II is to pull the top plate off (with a sucker) and look down inside to check that there is a torroidal transformer in there.

nick banks

Feb 27, 2023, 8:29:34 PM2/27/23
to lecson...@googlegroups.com
Hi Roger,
See pics attached.
The Ebay listing AP3 and my AP3 MK2.
At least mine is indicated as a Mk2 with the later style yellow label.

If anyone else has good info on this, it would be most appreciated.
Nick

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Lecson Audio" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lecson-audio/b9e3c460-b681-41eb-86e0-4191b1d12467n%40googlegroups.com.
Ebay listing AP3 .jpg
My AP3 mk2.JPG

Lothar

Mar 2, 2023, 2:56:39 AM3/2/23
to Lecson Audio
Hi everybody,
so another one who sells his goodies ! Condition acceptable but not more. And the tuner is CERTAINLY not the second one ever produced. Nonsense. I have the serial numbers of most if not all tuners known so far, so this one is one of the rather late models. Apart from that, if I remember correctly, Stan said years ago that serial numbers often used the labels that were available, so might probably not give the correct picture anyway. There were also quite a few more produced than 30, but without doubt you will probably not find more than a dozen worldwide that are fully working and in mint condition.
Regards,
Lothar

Roger Olney

Mar 2, 2023, 7:23:14 PM3/2/23
to Lecson Audio
I don't normally comment when a tuner comes up for sale but I just can't resist this time.  Especially as Lothar has commented now ;-)

I have for some years been quietly logging the serial No's of all the FM1/SFM2's that I see for sale.  I know that, to date, there are at least 40 surviving tuners.  Three of these tuners don't have a serial number so I suppose theoretically they could all be the same one changing hands a few times - but I think that's very unlikely as I also know who owns them.

I agree with Lothar's other comments, the condition is "average" and it's definitely not the second tuner made.

Lothar, we need to compare our records - we might find there are even more than 40 survivors!

Regarding the AP3 that is also for sale, I still think this could be a MkII.  Nick, the photo of your AP3 MkII is interesting because I wasn't previously aware that any MkII's were actually identified as such on their case.  Nevertheless, there are many examples of MkII's in cases without this identification - including the two I own.  For any potential purchaser I think it's really a case of caveat emptor (buyer beware).  I note that it is being sold with its original test certificate.  If it really is a MkII this should certify an output of around 140 Watts per channel (RMS).  If it's the earlier version then the output per channel will not be much more than 100 Watts.

Lothar

Mar 4, 2023, 9:48:19 AM3/4/23
to Lecson Audio
Hi again Roger,

as I mailed privately: There has been a guessing game about the correct number for decades now, so nobody knows anything for SURE!  And of course the small number of a dozen or so was referring to tuners fully working and in absolutely mint condition. Apart from these there is also a small number of "not too bad, but no thanks" tuners around.
Meanwhile, surprise, surprise my updated list of serial numbers has turned up, so if you want it.... Of course I will NEVER publish it online as it also mentions owners and prices, which I think should not be uploaded.
Regards,
Lothar