Ambuda -- a Sanskrit library

Learn Sanskrit

Jun 6, 2022, 1:36:55 AMJun 6
to learnsanskrit-announce
We are pleased to announce Ambuda (https://ambuda.org), our new Sanskrit library project.

Ambuda is a small step toward a great ambition: to make traditional Sanskrit literature radically accessible.

Specifically, we have two major goals.

The first is to create a delightful reading experience for all. Cross-browser support, custom transliteration, clear typography and design, integrated dictionary support, sandhi analysis, corpus search ... there is no end of convenience and access we can bring to readers.

The second is to build a comprehensive Sanskrit archive. We want to create a complete collection of traditional Sanskrit literature, proofread it thoroughly, and share it under the most permissive license we can. Building this archive is a mammoth undertaking, but we believe that the right technology will make it substantially easier.

Right now, our project looks clumsy, and it is far short of the audacious goals I describe above. But even the greatest tree ultimately grows from a tiny seed. I will share updates and milestones here as the project matures.

If you would like to help with the project -- as a reader, as a designer or engineer, as a scholar, or as a humble volunteer -- then please email me. I need all the help I can get to make this vision a reality.