Ruby 101 meetup this Saturday at 11am

Yasmine

Nov 9, 2011, 6:06:01 PM11/9/11
to LearnRuby101, ignu....@gmail.com
Is everyone ready for our second session?!

Good!

We're on for this Saturday at 11am in IndyHall. Len Smith will be
leading it again and we'll pick up from what we did our first week.

Please respond if you're coming so we can set up accordingly.

Best,

Yasmine

Michael Reichner

Nov 9, 2011, 7:20:07 PM11/9/11
to learnr...@googlegroups.com
I'm in
--
Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Brendan Lowry

Nov 9, 2011, 7:28:51 PM11/9/11
to learnr...@googlegroups.com
How difficult will things be to pick up if we missed week 1? Note: I have zero programming experience/knowledge.

--
Brendan Lowry
Community Manager, Storably

Michael Zornek

Nov 9, 2011, 9:16:40 PM11/9/11
to learnr...@googlegroups.com

Have fun. I'll be out of town but hope to stop by soon.

~ Mike
--
Michael Zornek
Clickable Bliss

Jake Richter

Nov 10, 2011, 9:05:23 AM11/10/11
to learnr...@googlegroups.com

Count me in.

Eric Steele

Nov 10, 2011, 10:04:37 AM11/10/11
to learnr...@googlegroups.com
I'm in.

-Eric

On Thursday, November 10, 2011 at 9:05 AM, Jake Richter wrote:

> Count me in.

maneesha sane

Nov 10, 2011, 10:30:18 AM11/10/11
to learnr...@googlegroups.com
I will be there.

-maneesha

coolgeek

Nov 10, 2011, 11:44:16 AM11/10/11
to LearnRuby101
You only missed one week. And you're not the only person with "zero
programming experience/knowledge". Though many of us are experienced
programmers, we're all new to Ruby

But you should commit to learning something before Saturday to make up
for those deficits.

http://tryruby.org would be a good place to start. (I thought it was
already mentioned in the group, but I can't find it at the moment).
The tutorial is structured as 15 "minute-long" lessons. As someone
with no programming experience, you should not take that at face
value. You should spend several hours with this, progressing through
the lessons slowly. You should think about what's going on at each
step - what they are trying to accomplish, and how they accomplish it
(the syntax of the code). Become comfortable with variables (things
that hold pieces of data) and methods (ways of manipulating that data)
- the components of objects. Programming is nothing more than data
and manipulations of that data.

(If anybody else feels that another tutorial would be better suited to
Brendan's circumstances, please speak up)

It would also be helpful to install ruby, and rails. But those are
things that the group can help you with on Saturday. The tutorial is
far more important, and has far greater long term value.

On Nov 9, 7:28 pm, Brendan Lowry <bren...@storably.com> wrote:
> How difficult will things be to pick up if we missed week 1? Note: I have zero programming experience/knowledge.
>
> --
> Brendan Lowry
> Community Manager, Storablyhttp://www.storably.com
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Nov 9, 2011, at 7:20 PM, Michael Reichner <coolg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm in

Patty Alman

Nov 10, 2011, 11:53:22 AM11/10/11
to learnr...@googlegroups.com
For those completely new to programming, there are some video tutorials on Lynda.com that introduce basic programming concepts through the Ruby programming language.  They also have some Rails intro videos that would probably be an appropriate next step.

-Patty

maneesha sane

Nov 10, 2011, 12:15:21 PM11/10/11
to learnr...@googlegroups.com
I've also compiled a bunch of resources for learning programming on my website:

David Stemmer

Nov 10, 2011, 1:50:05 PM11/10/11
to learnr...@googlegroups.com
Programming is nothing more than data
and manipulations of that data.

Shh, don't tell anybody, or I'll be out of a job.

drew

Nov 11, 2011, 3:03:53 PM11/11/11
to LearnRuby101
I am planning on attending.

thank you!

Michael Reichner

Nov 13, 2011, 11:01:44 AM11/13/11
to LearnRuby101
For those that are completely new to programming, I want to encourage you to work your way through Learn Ruby The Hard Way http://ruby.learncodethehardway.org/book/ (Maneesha mentions this on her list, but it was under General Programming (because there are several other versions of the book built around different languages))

The ruby koans focus on a thorough understanding of individual elements of the language (and doing things the ruby way) in a stepwise manner.  Think of this as the Karate Kid approach (wax on, wax off)

LRtHW takes a different approach - it gets you writing complete programs from the beginning, starting very simply, and adding more functionality as you progress

I believe that you will better understand, and learn more from, the koans once you have a basic understanding of how and why the individual language elements fit together into working programs

As I asserted for Try Ruby, with LRtHW you should think about what's going on in each line of code - what they are trying to accomplish, and how they accomplish it (the syntax of the code).  LRtHW builds muscle memory through repetition.  By thinking about each line individually, you will notice subtle differences in what initially look to be similar lines of code.  You will come to understand that these differences in how you use the elements enable different behaviors in the code.  And you will train yourself to focus in on these differences as you read new code.

Before you move on to each successive lesson, change things in the code and see how the behavior changes when you run the programs.  (In fact, you are often explicitly directed to do so in exercises at the end of each lesson)

Again, the goal is to become completely comfortable with variables (things that hold pieces of data) and methods (ways of manipulating that data).  Variables and methods are the components of objects, which Len has emphasized as the core of ruby programming

Sonny To

Nov 13, 2011, 12:57:51 PM11/13/11
to learnr...@googlegroups.com
thanks Len for volunteering his time to show us some ruby. If Yasmine
and Len doesn't mind, I'd like to teach the next class. I'm not a
ruby expert but I've been dabbling with it for the past 4yrs or so
mainly for shell scripting to automate Linux system administration
tasks. However, I've programmed in more than a dozen different
languages and I'm pretty good at Java, C#, Groovy, Python, Scheme, and
Scala.

I'm working on a web application project where I would normally use
Grails (which I think is awesome), but I'm going to use Rails on JRuby
instead.

Michael Reichner

Nov 25, 2011, 3:21:21 PM11/25/11
to learnr...@googlegroups.com
Are we meeting tomorrow?

Yasmine

Nov 26, 2011, 3:04:00 PM11/26/11
to LearnRuby101
Oops, I thought I sent out an email earlier in the week but I guess I
didn't. We're skipping this week due to the Holiday and will resume
sessions next week. Thanks! Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.