Definition of the Discrimination Tree Algorithm

Örjan Landgren

Dec 3, 2019, 8:35:37 AM12/3/19
to LearnLib Q&A
Hi!

I have been working for a number of weeks with LearnLib, and first I want to thank you for your extensive work and the fact that you share this project publicly!

Then I have at least one question: We are using LearnLib to compare the performance of available active learning algorithms that can be used on DFAs.
Looking at the LearnLib front page, four algorithms are available L*, KV, DT and TTT. So far we have found presentations of L* and KV and also TTT in a way so that we can understand it sufficiently enough but when it comes to the algorithm Discrimination Tree (DT) we have not been able to find any good description. Could you please help us with this?

Yours sincerely
Örjan Landgren

Markus Frohme

Dec 4, 2019, 12:58:55 AM12/4/19
to Örjan Landgren, LearnLib Q&A
Dear Örjan,

in short, you can think of the DT algorithm as the TTT algorithm without redundancy elimination of the discriminators. AFAIK the algorithm is sometimes also called "Observation Pack" algorithm and you can find its description in Falk's dissertation [0, chapter 2] (probably Falk knows best about this).

Kind regards,
Markus

[0] - http://hdl.handle.net/2003/29486

On Tue, Dec 03, 2019 at 05:35:37AM -0800, Örjan Landgren wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have been working for a number of weeks with LearnLib, and first I want
> to thank you for your extensive work and the fact that you share this
> project publicly!
>
> Then I have at least one question: We are using LearnLib to compare the
> performance of available active learning algorithms that can be used on
> DFAs.
> Looking at the LearnLib <http://www.learnlib.de> front page, four
> algorithms are available L*, KV, DT and TTT. So far we have found
> presentations of L* and KV and also TTT in a way so that we can understand
> it sufficiently enough but when it comes to the algorithm Discrimination
> Tree (DT) we have not been able to find any good description. Could you
> please help us with this?
>
> Yours sincerely
> Örjan Landgren

Örjan Landgren

Dec 6, 2019, 3:46:17 AM12/6/19
to LearnLib Q&A
Dear Markus!
Thank you so much for your fast and helpful response!

Best regards,
Örjan