LR.org was down

Steve Midgley

Jan 17, 2014, 5:33:35 PM1/17/14
to learningregistry
Hi,

The website www.learningregistry.org was down recently due to a database error. The site is back up and we're working to correct the problem longer-term. A couple people asked me recently if LR as a project was being disbanded due to the site being down: that's not true -- LR is still an active OSS project and community.

I hope everyone has a nice long weekend!
Steve

Scott Rehorn

Jan 30, 2014, 4:31:27 PM1/30/14
to learning...@googlegroups.com
learningregistry.org down at the moment with 'database connection' error (?)

---
This message is posted from the Google Groups "LearningRegistry" group. More information about the Learning Registry project can be found at http://learningregistry.org/

To post: learning...@googlegroups.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Learning Registry" group.

Steve Midgley

Jan 30, 2014, 4:40:49 PM1/30/14
to learningregistry
Yes - we are trying to fix this permanently. The MySQL server underneath Wordpress is reporting running out of transaction log space yet whenever we look at the disk, it's 90% free, so a little baffled as to what's going on. Probably the best way to fix is to move this site onto wordpress.com! :)

Any input/suggestions welcome and apologies for the repeated downtime.

Steve

joe hobson

Jan 30, 2014, 4:41:44 PM1/30/14
to learning...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the notification. I just brought it back up. We're having trouble with mysql stopping on it. Hopefully we'll get it taken care of soon. Thanks. ... .joe

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-
joe hobson, owner / director of technology & innovation
   Navigation North Learning Solutions

Scott Rehorn

Jan 30, 2014, 4:55:26 PM1/30/14
to learning...@googlegroups.com
It's been awhile since I've touched mysql config, but could it be that it's using an odd or possibly transient (i.e., memory-based) space for tx logs? I think the default location is /var/lib so it would be weird for a hoster to treat that as transient, but if you mod the config to point to a physical disk that's known to have space, that might be a workaround. Where is the system hosted?

hth

- scott r

Steve Midgley

Jan 30, 2014, 6:18:13 PM1/30/14
to learning...@googlegroups.com
On amazon ec2. It's mounted on a local disk so I'm pretty sure it's not a transient space but that was my first thought too.. Thanks for the support and hopefully we'll figure it out. I'm going to see if migrating away from self-hosting might just be the easiest solution..