Update and Delete: Learning Registry Tech Spec Amendment

Jim Klo

Dec 6, 2012, 9:05:21 PM12/6/12
to learnin...@googlegroups.com, learning...@googlegroups.com, <learning-registry-collaborate@googlegroups.com>
Greetings,

Over the past few weeks, the core team has been working out the details for a solution to address the federated update and delete of envelopes published to Learning Registry.

We believe we've come up with a very reasonable solution that retains much of the spirit and compatibility to the existing technical specification.
The draft amendment is currently available for public feedback and comment here http://goo.gl/EthPm until Wednesday, December 12, 2012 21:00:00 GMT+0  (That's a deadline of next Wednesday 1PM Pacific / 4PM Eastern). Throughout this short review period, we'll review the comments that are still outstanding, and make any changes necessary to the forthcoming implementation plan.

Please add your comments directly into the document. You are also welcome to send be private feedback directly to myself or submit the comment form here http://goo.gl/oo52t if you choose keep you comments non-public and/or anonymous.

Thanks,

- Jim

Jim Klo
Senior Software Engineer
Center for Software Engineering
SRI International
t. @nsomnac

Steve Midgley

Dec 6, 2012, 9:45:54 PM12/6/12
to <learning-registry-collaborate@googlegroups.com>, learnin...@googlegroups.com, learning...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jim for the work on this - and Walt too - and I would just add my input that I think this is a very useful and important addition to Learning Registry, so if you feel you have the technical skill and can take the time to review this and provide input, the project will greatly benefit from that.

Steve

Jim Klo

Dec 11, 2012, 11:58:51 AM12/11/12
to learning-regis...@googlegroups.com, learnin...@googlegroups.com, learning...@googlegroups.com
I wanted to remind everyone that feedback on the proposed amendment to the Learning Registry Tech Spec to handle document updates and deletes is still available until tomorrow Wednesday, December 12, 2012 21:00:00 GMT+0  (1PM Pacific / 4PM Eastern).

Please add your feedback directly into the document here http://goo.gl/EthPm, unless you want to be more anonymous you may submit your feedback here http://goo.gl/oo52t.

If you have any questions regarding the proposal please let me know.

Thanks,

- Jim

Jim Klo
Senior Software Engineer
Center for Software Engineering
SRI International
t. @nsomnac

Steve Midgley

Dec 13, 2012, 7:03:20 PM12/13/12
to <learning-registry-collaborate@googlegroups.com>, learnin...@googlegroups.com, learning...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the input on this Andy. I think a few of us have seen this "anti-pattern" for a while now, with a number of organizations coming to us off-line asking to have data removed from LR (in most cases in order to re-publish more accurate or complete data). By providing federated update/delete, I think we will have a fairly functional metadata "messaging layer" that hopefully we can use to share among disparate groups solving interesting/distinct educational problems.

I think the next interesting area of work will be in the Learning Registry Index (LRI) that Gates is funding as part of SLC. I'll leave it to them to announce their timelines, but I know they are releasing a lot of SLC products in January, so hopefully this will be part of that rollout.

The coupling of messaging transport via LR, and using it to signal data into a graph network such as LRI ought to permit us to find interesting new ways to interact with and understand learning resources and users.

In all events, thanks for the input, and we'll keep you all posted on the solution as Jim and Walt implement it.

Happy holidays,
Steve

On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 4:52 AM, Andy Green <amg...@liv.ac.uk> wrote:
Hello all,
The addition of federated update and delete solutions for Learning Registry is a very welcome development for the ENGrich team here at the University of Liverpool. This is the first NoSQL/CouchDB-based project that we've worked on and we're still getting used to the paradigm shift away from regular SQL programming techniques and methodology. While we understand in principle the ideas set out in the LR Quick Reference Guide of 'updating' by publishing new documents and then as a data consumer, identifying the most recent (with the same type, submitter and resource locator), in practice we find it's not always quite so simple. Publishing data can sometimes feel like hitting a very large red button, knowing that what's done cannot easily be undone. We therefore look forward to seeing the outcomes of the review period, and wish you the best in its future implementation.
Best regards,

Andrew Green
ENGrich project
Department of Engineering
The University of Liverpool

Director, Materials e-Learning Technologies