GoOpen licence information from the LR Search API?

Renato Cortinovis

Feb 4, 2017, 11:36:03 AM2/4/17
to Learning Registry Developers List

The information returned from the LR Search API does not contain “licence” / “useRightsUrl” data. Yet, this is fundamental information, especially now that there is the GoOpen Node (where indeed “licence” is a required field). Is there any possibility / plan to include this information?

Resources published to the GoOpen Node must have the licence specified. These data are then replicated to the public Node01 and Node02 nodes, where “licence” / “useRightsUrl” can be correctly retrieved (in resource_data), for example via the “obtain” service. Yet, while these resources (metadata) are also available via the LR Search API, the information about their licence got lost [see example below].

To get this all-important information, it is possible to replicate a query to the “obtain” service for each resource retrieved from the Search API, but this is overkill. Are there better suggestions?

Thank you,

Renato

Detailed example:

Sample resource in GoOpen:

https://goopen.public.learningregistry.net/obtain?by_doc_ID=false&request_id=https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/physics-revision-game-6426683

Same resource from Node01:

https://node02.public.learningregistry.net/obtain?request_id=https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/physics-revision-game-6426683

Same resource from LR Search (where “licence” / “useRightsUrl” is not available):

https://search.learningregistry.net/api/search?api_key=<INSERT YOUR KEY>&facet_filters[url][]=https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/physics-revision-game-6426683

joe hobson

Feb 6, 2017, 2:11:10 PM2/6/17
to Learning Registry Developers List
hey Renato,

You are correct that the license information is not part of the data that the Search API is processing or making available to consumers of the services. That one has been on the shortlist of desired features for the search widget and API for about a year now. Unfortunately our development hours are fairly limited so we haven't had a chance to do the work on that one yet. Usage on the search service isn't as high as some of our other tools, so it doesn't get the same attention as some other priorities.

With that said, both the search service and the LR-Data process are open source projects, and we would welcome your contributions if you'd like to kickstart the work on this. The first step would simply be adding mappings to the LR-Data ElasticSearch indexing routine so that the license data is indexed. Then we need to make sure that data is exposed in the search services. There's a variety of technologies at play here, but if you (or anyone else on this list for that matter) would like to tackle this feature request, I'd be happy to help where I can to get you started.

... .joe

Pat Lockley (Pgogy)

Feb 6, 2017, 3:27:21 PM2/6/17
to learnin...@googlegroups.com, joe hobson
Hey

thread interupting - do the resources for GoOpen follow a consistent
format?

Pat

--
Pgogy Webstuff
pgogywebstuff.com

Renato Cortinovis

Feb 7, 2017, 3:37:39 AM2/7/17
to Learning Registry Developers List

Thank you for your answer Joe.

Your proposal is appreciated, but right at the moment I cannot afford to work on that. However I am happy to share what I can with this helpful community if it can be of interest to anybody. I am conducting some narrow-focused experiments with educators, for which I am using the LR services in some (incrementally developed) prototypes. A very early one, Educational Resources Discoverer, was already made available in the Community Projects, a more advanced one, which you may also list in the Community Projects, is available here, and I am working on a further one. If anybody is interested, please let me know.

I wonder if the usage on the search service is low because people don’t know about it? For example there was somebody last year suggesting to use OpenEd API to search for Learning Registry resources, because the Learning Registry had no fine grained search API!

Renato

Renato Cortinovis

Feb 7, 2017, 3:41:46 AM2/7/17
to Learning Registry Developers List

Hey Pat,

Joe will likely answer more extensively, however the metadata (resource_data) posted in GoOpen are supposed to be validated against this schema: resource_lrmi_open.json. I have noticed in a few cases some minor differences though, probably for resources that were introduced before the schema.

Renato