Re: Featured WikiEducator UPE (January 2014): Wayne Mackintosh

Wayne Mackintosh

Feb 3, 2014, 12:17:18 AM2/3/14
to Ramesh Sharma, WikiEducator, WikiEducator Learning4Content Workshops, wikieducator-teacher...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,

What a lovely surprise! I couldn't have wished for a better way to kick off my work in 2014 now that I'm back into the swing of things after my annual summer vacation break :-)

Thanks for your kind wishes -- much appreciated <blush>.

Our successes are the result of hundreds of educators volunteering time to share the gift of knowledge freely for better education futures - so thank you all for your help and commitment in turning an open vision into reality. WE are an important node in the evolving and dynamic OER ecosystem.

While acknowledging our past successes we should also recognise that we still have lots of work to do in mainstreaming open education approaches worldwide. I look forward to working with you all during 2014 in taking a few more steps forward in widening access to more affordable education using OER.

With your help and shared leadership  - Let's make open futures happen!

Wayne

On Sun, Feb 2, 2014 at 7:48 AM, Ramesh Sharma <ram...@oerfoundation.org> wrote:
Dear Friends,

January 2014

It was in February 2006 the domain names for wikieducator.org, wikieducator.net and wikieductor.com were registered by Wayne Mackintosh, a WikiEducator mailing list was created by Brent Simpson in January 2007 and the WikiEducator launched the highly popular Learning4Content project in January 2008. WikiEducator's first online training session was conducted in February 2007, since then our WE is now a 67,882 registered user strong community having provided online training to several thousand teachers and professionals. As an evolving community, WE're turning the digital divide into digital dividends using free content and open networks.

Currently Wayne is the founding Director of the OER Foundation and the International Centre for Open Education based at Otago Polytechnic, New Zealand. He also holds the UNESCO-COL Chair in OER at Otago Polytechnic. It was during his stint at the Commonwealth of Learning he founded the WikiEducator, we all are in agreement with him for it to be the most rewarding project for turning the digital divide into digital dividends for thousands of teachers, students and educators. He was also an Associate Professor and founding director of the Centre for Flexible and Distance Learning (CFDL) at the University of Auckland, New Zealand. Truly a global figure, he has worked and lived in three different regions of the Commonwealth, namely Africa (South Africa), the Pacific (New Zealand) and North America (Canada).

We believe that its about time now that WE express our thanks to the founder of WikiEducator, Dr Wayne Mackintosh, he sure is a winner of our hearts!!

Let's begin this year 2014 with our expression of thanks, gratitude and appreciation for Wayne for his vision, support, leadership and commitment to the cause of building open educational resources, free content and open networks.

With best wishes

Nellie and Ramesh

--
Wayne Mackintosh, Ph.D.