IS IT TRUE?

MALLAMIBRO

Feb 18, 2010, 5:15:35 PM2/18/10
to learning4cont...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,
Yes! I needed to ask myself if the workshop has really come to an end.
Each day brought a new task to be accomplished, fresh knowledge to be
discovered and new friends to meet.
But today, I can say it loudly that THIS IS ONE WORKSHOP WORTH
MILLIONS!!! I would miss it for any reason!!!
What has being done here is lay a foundation upon which we all must
work to build upon.
i look forward to being part of the next training workshop.
Please friends, lets keep up the good work we have started.
It was a great honour working with you all.
To the facilitators, I can only Say Thank you and God bless, without
your guidance, it wouldn't have been possible.
Ibrahim K. Oyekanmi

Wayne Mackintosh

Feb 18, 2010, 8:28:50 PM2/18/10
to learning4cont...@googlegroups.com
Wow Ibrahim --

That's a compelling endorsement for L4C <blush> from all of us associated with supporting free training for wiki skills accross the world.

You can help us by spreading the word -- encourage your friends and colleagues to register for upcoming workshops. We look forward to seeing a Nigerian chapter on WikiEducator supporting the development of OER for your country.

Cheers
Wayne

Wayne Mackintosh, Ph.D.
Director,
International Centre for Open Education,
Otago Polytechnic, New Zealand.
Board of Directors, OER Foundation.
Founder and Community Council Member, Wikieducator, www.wikieducator.org
Mobile +64 21 2436 380
User Page: http://wikieducator.org/User:Mackiwg
Skype: WGMNZ1
Twitter: OERFoundation, Mackiwg

Patricia Schlicht

Feb 18, 2010, 8:54:16 PM2/18/10
to learning4cont...@googlegroups.com
Dear Ibrahmim,

Thank you - also in the name of the other facilitators - for coming and
taking us up on our offer. As I said earlier, it has been an absolute
pleasure. We definitely hope that this is only the beginning for you and
a person like yourself with your background could be instrumental of
making Nigeria's WikiEducator and OER movement grow. A Nigerian
community of WikiEducators, wow that would be fantastic. If you need
help, feel free to call on us.

Come back as many times as you like. Please note, the next
Learning4Content workshop is in March and will teach the use of
WikiEducator's newest feature: Rich Text Editing with our Tutorials.
Always worth to come back. You can sign up here:

http://www.wikieducator.org/Learning4Content/Registration.

For you all to feel inspired, we would like to share the following 2
video, enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdydCoiru4o
Desmond Tuto on Digital freedom

And

Nelson Mandela on the underpinning concept of an "Ubuntu" society

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODQ4WiDsEBQ

Love to read your comments

Warm wishes,
Your Facilitator Team

CI Training And Development Institute

Feb 19, 2010, 12:35:53 PM2/19/10
to learning4cont...@googlegroups.com

Dear All

Participating in this ten days workshop has been of great honour. I am very much appreciating; I have gained a lot. I have the ZEAL to write learning materials, this workshop has brushed and polished my skills. A large number of academics may review and critique any piece of writing that any could put forth.

My online-class, you were superb. I have gained a lot of knowledge from you guys. This has been an opportunity for us to network (international education network). I am enthusiastic and have zeal to research, so, do not be surprised when you receive my e-mail.

To Patricia, you are so helpful and you are a great facilitator thank you for assisting us through this workshop. It has not been difficult but it worth it.

Dr Wayne Mackintosh, the director, thank you for informing me about this workshop. I think I am a man who bathed with the detergent.

Now, before the end of workshop Please advise me on:

1.     How to start a community portal for educators in South Africa where I can coordinate meetings to improve professionals.

2.     If I complete the writing of learning materials, who do I contact on Wiki educators to coordinate the review of the learning materials? Please provide their links or e-mails.

Regards

[...]

Mr Colonel Ncube
Training Manager
CI Training And Development Institute
Phone: +27 31 905 2213
Mobile: +27 82 664 5969
Fax   :  086 667 6966

Patricia Schlicht

Feb 19, 2010, 12:47:50 PM2/19/10
to learning4cont...@googlegroups.com
Dear Colonel,

Thank you very much for your kind words. If you work with commitment,  dedication and joy comes into the mix, all efforts come naturally without it feeling like work. This is always how I felt about WikiEducator.

I have created a South African Country Portal for you or anyone to use. Feel free to make use in any way you would like to see this evolve.

Warm wishes,
Patricia

MALLAMIBRO

Feb 19, 2010, 2:01:55 PM2/19/10
to learning4cont...@googlegroups.com
Hi Patricia,
I just visited the OERSouthAfrica Country Portal, and i will like you
to create one for Nigeria.
I promise to work hard to promote the awareness. I am thinking of
sending invitations to educators from different parts of Nigeria to
join in the OER project.
Please, it will be highly appreciated if you can organize a
learning4content workshop for Nigeria or maybe for African educators
as a whole.
Please, i know the continent needs OER content more than any other
place especially with the lack of Books at affordable prices.
If educators can be brought to understand the value of OER, it will
help in our quest to making the next generation of Africans literate
in the real sense of the word.
I volunteer myself to undertake contacting educators all around the
continent for the project.
Once again, I thank you and your co-facilitators for your guidance to us all.
To all fellow Wikieducators, i say "We have been trained together,
Together sahll we play our part in making the torch of knowledge shine
brighter the world over"
Ibrahim K. Oyekanmi
eL4C35 Graduate 2010

N.B: PLease, lets try our best to visiting this group pages and
dropping messages to show how far we are all progressing.

On 2/19/10, Patricia Schlicht <patricia...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Colonel,
>
> Thank you very much for your kind words. If you work with commitment,
> dedication and joy comes into the mix, all efforts come naturally without it
> feeling like work. This is always how I felt about WikiEducator.
>
> I have created a South African Country Portal for you or anyone to use. Feel
> free to make use in any way you would like to see this evolve.
>
> http://wikieducator.org/OERSouthAfrica
>
> Warm wishes,
> Patricia
>
> On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 9:35 AM, CI Training And Development Institute <
> citrai...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear All
>>
>> Participating in this ten days workshop has been of great honour. I am
>> very
>> much appreciating; I have gained a lot. I have the ZEAL to write learning
>> materials, this workshop has brushed and polished my skills. A large
>> number
>> of academics may review and critique any piece of writing that any could
>> put
>> forth.
>>

>> My *online-class,* you were superb. I have gained a lot of knowledge from

>> you guys. This has been an opportunity for us to network (international
>> education network). I am enthusiastic and have zeal to research, so, do
>> not
>> be surprised when you receive my e-mail.
>>

>> To *Patricia*, you are so helpful and you are a great facilitator thank

>> you for assisting us through this workshop. It has not been difficult but
>> it
>> worth it.
>>

>> *Dr Wayne Mackintosh*, the director, thank you for informing me about this

>>> learning4content-wo...@googlegroups.com<learning4content-workshops%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

>>> .
>>> For more options, visit this group at
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/learning4content-workshops?hl=en.
>>>

>> --
>> Mr Colonel Ncube
>> Training Manager
>> CI Training And Development Institute
>> Phone: +27 31 905 2213
>> Mobile: +27 82 664 5969
>> Fax : 086 667 6966
>>
>> --

>> learning4content-wo...@googlegroups.com<learning4content-workshops%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

>> .
>> For more options, visit this group at
>> http://groups.google.com/group/learning4content-workshops?hl=en.
>>

> --

MALLAMIBRO INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY ACADEMY
P O BOX 13145
KANO G P O
KANO
NIGERIA TEL : +234-808-227-7575; +234-702-581-8401
http://www.mallamibro.webs.com
Join the Greatest revolution of my times! Become a Wikieducator today.
Join for free at www.wikieducator.org

Patricia Schlicht

Feb 19, 2010, 3:17:21 PM2/19/10
to learning4cont...@googlegroups.com
Dear Ibrahim,
Here is the OER Nigeria country Portal.
http://wikieducator.org/OERNigeria

You might also want to look at http://www.wikieducator.org/Nigeria. you
could combine the two by creating a link that refers back to the just
Nigeria country information.

Warm wishes,
Patricia

Feb 19, 2010, 4:01:23 PM2/19/10
to learning4cont...@googlegroups.com
Hello Patricia

I am so grateful of you. You have created the South Africa's community portal for us. Now you can visit

 http://wikieducator.org/OERSouthAfrica  again and see.

How do people sign up here? I want to know so that I campaign for membership and encourage educators to come in.

I think after working through this workshop I will be able to facilitate a simple workshop for local Schools in South Africa. I will need your support to go ahead. If it starts probably I will invite you to be the supervisor of the workshop.

After gaining members, I suggest you may organise a huge workshop for  the African Region but it will not be effective for now. We need to inform the society first. I will work hand in hand with you and gain advice where possible.

Regards

Patricia Schlicht

Feb 19, 2010, 4:18:36 PM2/19/10
to learning4cont...@googlegroups.com

Dear Colonel,

This is a great start. I made a few small suggestions, to correct a misconception. Have a look.

In terms of having people sign up:  You will have to mobilise your networking skills and invite people to come in. It is always a good idea to have them sign up for one of our Learning4Content course, to have them start on the right foot and starting with the right understanding on what this is. Eventually, you will gain a lot of insights yourself in the process, so at one point, you will be doing this yourself. I highly recommend you sign up for the next course,a s it will teach our new feature, Rich Text Editing on WikiEducator. it is similar to word processing and will make a lot of things much easier. You will have a choice between using the regular Wiki syntax or rich text editing or a combination of both.

http://www.wikieducator.org/Learning4Content/Registration.

I will set up a registration box on your portal and on Ibrahims, for people to sign up for this learning opportunity for now.

Cheers,

Patricia

CI Training And Development Institute

Feb 19, 2010, 5:00:12 PM2/19/10
to learning4cont...@googlegroups.com
Dear Patricia
Thank you it is superb now. Where its OER Contacts must I put my contacts there or yours?

Regars

Patricia Schlicht

Feb 19, 2010, 5:18:29 PM2/19/10
to learning4cont...@googlegroups.com

I would definitely your contacts, you are the first contact point. Have another look here for inspiration:

http://www.wikieducator.org/Zambia

Warm wishes,

MALLAMIBRO

Feb 20, 2010, 4:54:17 AM2/20/10
to learning4cont...@googlegroups.com
Hi Colonel,
I have been following your zeal in this workshop and i feel we can
work together to improve the awareness in the African region.
I am also hoping we can have an African regional workshop soonest, but
like you said, creating awareness is the first issue.
I hope to hear from you soon.
Ibrahim Oyekanmi

CI Training And Development Institute

Feb 20, 2010, 7:43:15 AM2/20/10
to learning4cont...@googlegroups.com

 Thanks Ibrahim, we can make the difference.

It is deeply touching! The prices of books are very high. How can poor children from Africa, afford a university degree if textbooks are not affordable? This means there is no education. Africa is likely to face the challenge of less development opportunities in both education and Economic development. Drastically, we have an augmented dilemma.

So many wars that were fought, including political, social and economic wars, many of them were conquered, but the wars in poverty, HIV/AIDS and ignorance is likely to daunt development opportunities in many developing countries. Probably it will be fought and won if the education sector is mobilised from the apex of the highest mountains to the lower steep valleys in Africa, driven along the Indian  ocean and travel across from the coast to the inlands, disregarding the sand dunes and windy climates along the way. I am telling you, if put our minds together as education practitioners and receive help from organisations like OER Foundation, driven by Dr Wayne, Patricia and others, we can go far in the field of education, training and development.

Let us try in our generation to make the difference.

Patricia Schlicht

Feb 20, 2010, 6:23:57 PM2/20/10
to learning4cont...@googlegroups.com
Dear Ibrahim,

I touched base with Wayne and unfortunately other than what is currently
being and will be scheduled there is no funding available for further
out of the ordinary workshops. The workshop that are being scheduled
should be used for now to obtain the skills among the growing African
communities. Don't worry, this will come in time.
Warm wishes,
Patricia

Feb 21, 2010, 3:43:40 PM2/21/10
to learning4cont...@googlegroups.com
Hi Patricia,
Thanks for raising the issue.
I guess we will make do with the available workshops.
I will try my best to rouse awareness about the oncoming workshops.
If we can get more African educators onboard, it might ven be possible
to organize a local workshop among ourselves!
I will let me you know as i go about it.
I will be trying my hands on the tutorials to improve myself and i
hope you'd find time to pass your comments and advice.
Thanks once again.
ibrahim Oyekanmi

Patricia Schlicht

Feb 21, 2010, 4:21:05 PM2/21/10
to learning4cont...@googlegroups.com
Dear Ibrahim,

That's the way to do it, also sign up for the next one, as it will teach
rich text editing, WikiEducator's newest feature. Raising awareness and
inviting people to come check this opportunity out is a good starting
point. Matters have a way of progressing from there, and interest groups
easily form. You now have a Wikieducator Nigeria Portal. Make use of it,
invite people who share your passion to improve the page, build teams,
take the lead and move forward. I highly recommend any of you sign up
for the WikiEducator discussion forum at the top of WE's main page. This
way you stay close to the pulse and can find help easily, not just from
me, but from your WikiNeighbours around the world
(http://www.wikieducator.org )

We are our own limitations, think big and move forward. Just one
important thing: Always make sure that anything you put on WE is free of
copy restrictrions. Wiki only allows two Creative Commons licenses:
Attribution and share-alikes (cc-by-sa). Have a look here what this
means:

http://www.wikieducator.org/Wikieducator_tutorial/What_is_free_content

http://creativecommons.org/about/licenses

If you're looking for a more academic analysis, try this article by
Derek Keats:

http://www.sajic.org.za/index.php/SAJIC/article/view/SAJIC-7-6

Derek is Deputy Vice-Chancellor for Knowledge and Information
Management, so this is a pretty high level academic opinion from the
academy.

Cheers,