[Call for Participation] Learning Theory Mentorship Workshop

Ciara Pike-Burke

May 17, 2024, 5:31:33 AMMay 17
to COLT (Computational Learning Theory)

Hi all,

We are pleased to invite you to the 6th Learning Theory Alliance Mentorship workshop, to be held on June 4-5, 2024. The workshop is free and fully virtual.

The workshop is intended for upper-level undergraduate and all-level graduate students as well as postdoctoral researchers who are interested in theoretical computer science and machine learning. No prior research experience in the field is expected, and some sessions may be of interest to researchers in adjacent fields. We have several planned events including:

  • A “how-to” talk on how to be a good collaborator (discussing what healthy collaborations do and don’t look like, setting expectations, transitioning from junior to senior collaborator roles).
  • A “how-to” talk on how to do theory research (covering topics such as formulating research questions and theory problems, breaking a larger problem into smaller toy problems, and day-to-day best practices).
  • A panel discussion on time management (for example, maintaining a balance between learning and solving, work-life balance, deciding how many projects to work on).
  • A social hour with mentoring tables.

Our lineup includes Shuchi Chawla (UT), Adam Groce (Reed College), Zhiyi Huang (University of Hong Kong), Varun Kanade (Oxford), Po-Ling Loh (University of Cambridge), Audra McMillan (Apple), Ankur Moitra (MIT), Devi Parikh (Georgia Tech), Aaditya Ramdas (CMU), and Steven Wu (CMU).

A short application form is required to participate with an application deadline of Tuesday, May 28, 2024. Students with backgrounds that are underrepresented or underserved in related fields are especially encouraged to apply. We are trying our best to accommodate all time zones. More information (including the schedule) can be found on the event’s website: https://let-all.com/spring24.html.

This workshop is part of our broader community-building initiative called the Learning Theory Alliance. Check out http://let-all.com/ for more details.

To connect with fellow participants and stay in touch for more announcements, we encourage everyone to join the LeT-All slack.

Best,

Ciara Pike-Burke, Vatsal Sharan, Ellen Vitercik, and Lydia Zakynthinou

LeT-All’s Mentoring Workshop Committee

Ak Hackers

May 18, 2024, 12:33:29 AMMay 18
to COLT (Computational Learning Theory)