Update on the status of the future learn website development

Richard Olsen

Jan 19, 2011, 3:47:00 PM1/19/11
to Learning Technology Innovation
Hi all,

As decided in the meeting before Christmas, I'm working on setting up
the future learn website and directory. George has said in the other
thread today, we're getting close, this is true. Currently I just have
a couple of bugs to iron out, largely to with categories and tags, as
well as fixing some formatting issues and link issues (links to
twitter and external urls). I'm looking to have the site ready to go
by in the next day or so, therefore any comments on what I have so far
is appreciated.

The site as it is, is divided into two sections, the main blog/news
site and the directory of products, companies and people. Largely
modelled on techcrunch and crunchbase.

When writing an article authors are able to link to the directory by
using short codes. For example, by using the short code [fl
person="Bill Gates"] would insert the name Bill Gates in your article
with a link to the directory. A small preview box with information
about Bill Gates will also be displayed below the post. The short
code takes an additional parameter using [fl person="Bill Gates"
display="Bill"] will display the name Bill in the article and link to
the Bill Gates entry in the future learn directory. The short codes
for companies and products work the same way eg. [fl company="Google"]
[fl product="GMail"]

The directory part allows us to keep information about companies,
products and people.
For products, we store the product name, description and tags, the
company name that created the product, website, blog, twitter and
email, the stage (development, closed beta, open beta, launched) and
the launch date; and finally sources (links to which the content was
obtained).

For companies: name, description and categories; website, blog,
telephone, twitter and email; number of employees and founding date;
and sources.

For people: name, description and tags; current and previous
companies; blog, twitter, facebook, linkedin and email; and sources.

None of these fields are mandatory (besides name).

Only future learn authors will be able to add to entries to the
database although anyone can suggest an entry to the directory using
the suggest form. Authors will be then able to view the suggestions
and publish, modify or trash them.

We're planning to launch the site and then adjust this as it needs be.
You can view the demo of the site at http://fl.thedarknetgame.com/ and
the directory at http://fl.thedarknetgame.com/directory/ -- I haven't
bothered to add too much dmmy data so you will have to use your
imagination some what. At this stage I'm not looking for bugs or
suggestions about formatting just feedback on the overall design and
glaring omissions. I'll post again when I've made the fixes listed at
the start of this message and then we'll be looking for bugs. At that
stage I'll add a bit more dummy data and it will be easier to see how
this will work.

If you would like access to beta site to have a play around in the
backend send me an email at ric...@ideaslab.edu.au

Richard

Nicola

Jan 20, 2011, 3:06:59 AM1/20/11
to Learning Technology Innovation
Hi Richard,

This isn't major design thing and you may be already planning to do
more with widgets, but maybe on the RH of home page, a widget of some
kind - that is related to the directory, in case someone wanders
across the site and just sees the blog, picks up the feed and doesn't
bother to click anything else - something - I don't know if its
recently added, or as a top 5 type thing from categories. Like kind of
reminders of existing innovations in the directory or reminders to add
one etc

The directory seems self-explanatory but if anyone thinks it is
needed, a first time here type widget or help feature could be added.

Nicola

On Jan 19, 8:47 pm, Richard Olsen <olsen.richar...@edumail.vic.gov.au>
wrote:
> the directory athttp://fl.thedarknetgame.com/directory/-- I haven't
> bothered to add too much dmmy data so you will have to use your
> imagination some what. At this stage I'm not looking for bugs or
> suggestions about formatting just feedback on the overall design and
> glaring omissions.  I'll post again when I've made the fixes listed at
> the start of this message and then we'll be looking for bugs. At that
> stage I'll add a bit more dummy data and it will be easier to see how
> this will work.
>
> If you would like access to beta site to have a play around in the
> backend send me an email at rich...@ideaslab.edu.au
>
> Richard

Richard Olsen

Jan 20, 2011, 4:19:38 AM1/20/11
to Learning Technology Innovation
Hi Nicola,

Yes, agree. As the site is using wordpress we have a lot of
flexibility with widgets. I think, the home page will evolve as
content is generated and the site begins to define itself.

Currently ,I've developed "recently added" and "recently updated"
widgets for products, companies and people, so 6 in total. I'd also
thought of creating a widget for the home page which shows the totals
eg. 40 products, 35 companies and 50 people in the directory Your
idea of a "new here" widget is a good idea.

Thanks for your reply,
Richard
> > the directory athttp://fl.thedarknetgame.com/directory/--I haven't

Marc Frencken

Jan 25, 2011, 11:50:25 AM1/25/11
to learning-techno...@googlegroups.com
Hello there,

I like the result of the work you put into Future Learn. Now it's -partly-
up to me to get the initiative under the broad attention of colleagues in
the education and gaming industry here in Holland so they will give input of
which I can compile data and stories for Futurelearn.org.

Thnx so far and hopefully it will become a success!

Grtz

Marc Frencken
Hertshoornstraat 22
6813 EJ Arnhem