update on activity

George Siemens

Dec 8, 2010, 7:17:41 AM12/8/10
to learning-techno...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm waiting for a bit of technical support from my web host so I can get ftp access to the futurelearn site (so we can add themes and widgets...it's really a small detail, but we can't play with look/feel until they've resolved this).

Anyway, we can start adding content to the site.

If you'd like to be a contributor please send contact me off list and I'll create the account for you.

At our online meeting, we decided to play this somewhat casually: whoever wants to contribute, can. Over time, we'll develop a core group of contributors and begin to structure some type of workflow/contribution process. For now, we'll let chaos reign as we find our focus and particular role in contributing to learning/tech/innovation.

We will role things out in three stages:

1. News site (now)
2. Company database (soon)
3. Community site (later)

Question for the list: what would you define as the attributes of an ideal post to the site? (just for the sake of getting some discussion going on a rough framework for contributions from site members).

George

Teresamac

Dec 8, 2010, 8:32:44 AM12/8/10
to Learning Technology Innovation
I think that ideal posts would give readers an insight into:
-why the innovation concerned is innovative (not just novel)
-how the innovation impacted upon the learners/teachers (or was driven
by them?)

Teresa

Daniel Christian

Dec 8, 2010, 10:59:30 AM12/8/10
to Learning Technology Innovation
George:
Question for the list: what would you define as the attributes of an
ideal post to the site? (just for the sake of getting some discussion
going on a rough framework for contributions from site members).

Daniel:
I would hope that a posting would encourage us to think creatively,
imaginatively, and to spur outside-the-box thinking. It would help us
*shape* the future of teaching and learning by introducing new ideas,
concepts, products or services that could really help students learn
to love learning and to become proficient at it. For example, such
ideas might be aimed at how to engage our students and keep them
engaged.

I'm reading a book by Edward Cornish, Futuring: The Exploration of the
Future, where he states:

"The goal of futuring is not to predict the future but to improve it.
We want to anticipate possible or likely future conditions so that we
can prepare for them. We especially want to know about oppportunities
and risks that we should be ready for."

Marc Frencken InnoCrator

Dec 8, 2010, 2:15:04 PM12/8/10
to learning-techno...@googlegroups.com

Hello All, in response to Georges question I would like to refer to Viplav Baxi’s http://www.atelierlearning.com/grockit.pdf. I think in this document we see all ingredients that make a review not only worthwhile reading, but also provides us with information which is useful in decision-making on feasibility of implementation.

Grtz

Marc Frencken

InnoCrator B.V.

www.InnoCrator.com

6813 EJ Arnhem

Hertshoornstraat 22

M 0651605803

E skill...@InnoCrator.com

Nicola

Dec 21, 2010, 1:50:04 PM12/21/10
to Learning Technology Innovation
Hi,

This is isn't exactly posts, they are in app directories etc, but
quite like some features of some of these, although appreciate they
are not descriptions of content:

http://www.mobileactive.org/ (icons)
http://www.kiwanja.net/database/kiwanja_search.php
http://www.betavine.net/home/main/home.html
http://unreasonableinstitute.org/

Have added some screenshots of some of the above on Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nicolaavery/sets/72157625521224641/

Don't know if of interest, but Vandelay Design did a piece in April
2010 on news sites trends http://vandelaydesign.com/blog/design/news-websites/

Nicola